Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1998 Grand Cherokee 4.0L Bucking And Shuttering

timvie
02-27-2009, 11:50 PM
I had my tranny repaired and got my 1998 4.0L 6cyl. jeep back and at different times mostly under acceleration it will buck and shutter. The rpm gauge will also jump back and forth when this is happening. It seems not to do it when cold only after the engine warms up to operating temp. Also seems to run fine if you just pooch it around by hardly pushing the gas pedal at all... Any ideas where to start to look for the solution?

pkucan
02-28-2009, 06:22 AM
Who repaired the tranny? Take it back and have them read the tranny codes.

timvie
02-28-2009, 07:23 AM
The guy says the tranny is fine. It even does it in park and netural. Could it still be a tranny problem?

pkucan
02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
This has happened on my 95 towncar. It was the neutral safety switch which is also called the transmission MLP. Mounted to the outside of the transmission it has a tendency to get wet and the contacts inside think it is in and out of drive causing the RPMs to rise drastically when driving. Not sure about the Jeep since I am just starting with this type of vehicle.
Vacuum leak, plugs, wires and distributor may also contribute.

timvie
04-03-2009, 01:08 PM
Got it fixed. Replaced the 2 oxygen sensors on the exhaust and the camshaft position sensor. Running great again.

Add your comment to this topic!