Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power steering hoses

73stingray
02-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Does anyone know why all the parts stores only carry the pressure hose for the power steering and not the return? I'm replacing my pump and wanted to change both hoses at the same time. The dealer has it, but it's over $100 which I think is pretty ridiculous. I'm going to try gmparts direct unless anyone knows a better place to get it in the Chicago area.

J-Ri
02-27-2009, 06:24 PM
for starters, the return line very rarely fails (since it's under very little pressure compared to the pressure line), when it does, it's usually the hose from the rack to the cooler loop on the frame (the crimp-clamp fails and the hose pops off the loop, if it does, just double [or tripple] clamp the hose back on. I've repaired dozens of them and never had one pop off a second time). Secondly, you can just use P/S / transmission bulk hose between the line sections to repair it if the hose does fail.

73stingray
02-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Well I know i have a leak somewhere on the drivers side of the car, and the pump is making a pretty bad whining noise when I turn the wheel. I haven't had a chance to really crawl under the car yet to take a better look because the weather here isn't the most cooperative. I figured I'd try replacing the hoses first because they're usually pretty cheap and I've had cars in the past where that was the only problem. I don't get why the hoses for this car are so expensive though. I'm just hoping I don't have to replace the rack too. Do the 99's have a steering cooler? I didn't see any parts listed for that on gm's website and there's no mention of one in my Haynes manual.

02-28-2009, 06:01 AM
Completely agree with J-ri + I would add that the original line for some reason is of a very poor quality anyway, (my developed leak after one month or less and car was brand new). It will go even faster if you have bad engine mounts, plus add to that constant engine flexing when shifting from park to D and back which gives additional twisting pressure on the line.

xeroinfinity
02-28-2009, 11:49 AM
:iagree: I would just replace the low pressure line with PS/trans hose.
Damn the stealerships! :(

A real PITA to get to the R&P side of the lines if you dont have a lift to get room to work, as they are usualy very very tight, and rusty. Id also use a line wrench made for these fittings or you'll round them off. :2cents:

If you cant get the low p line loose from the rack & pinion, the easiest way to replace that is to cut the factory compression fitting cripped onto the old low P hose. Then just slip your new hose over the old tube(s)/fittings. This way you can also use the line cooler tubing on the pass side just clamp them good. If you dont use this your pump will run hotter and could cause premature death to the pump.

73stingray
02-28-2009, 03:37 PM
I have a good set of line wrenches and impact sockets, but I'll have to make due with jackstands. I got the car in the garage today to take a look and the pressure line looks totally dry fitting to fitting, but there is a significant amount of fluid coming from the area where the steering column goes into the rack. The return line has some kind of insulation ziptied to it on the section that runs along the rack and that looks like it's soaked in fluid. I can't really tell if the leak is from the return line or the rack though because of the suspension crossmember.
What is this line cooler tubing you're talking about? I know the cooler the better for this stuff, but there's nothing on there now and this is the first problem I've had with the steering in the 8 years I've had the car.
I did notice that my rear engine mount is shot too, which might have caused some extra flexing that caused the steering line to fail.

doctorhrdware
02-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Could you use the rubber fuel line, in place of the low pressure power steering line?

02-28-2009, 04:20 PM
Definitely yes, I don't see a reason why not.....

73stingray
02-28-2009, 05:50 PM
Why would you use a fuel line over a rubber transmission line? Power steering fluid is basically transmission fluid with some anti-foaming agents and I wouldn't think there'd be that much of difference in cost. I think I actually have some transmission cooler line in the garage that might work if it's the right size.

J-Ri
02-28-2009, 08:24 PM
What is this line cooler tubing you're talking about?

The return line goes into a ~8" loop on the passenger side before returning to the reservoir... not really a cooler, but the longer line does dissipate some heat.

And DO NOT use fuel hose for PS/trans fluid. The fuel hose is not PS/trans fluid resistant. It will work for a while, but the fluid will eat through it.

doctorhrdware
02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
That is why I asked the question, because I did not know if it would work. Now that J-RI answered the question nicely I know the answer. Thanks J-Ri.

73stingray
03-01-2009, 11:08 AM
The return line goes into a ~8" loop on the passenger side before returning to the reservoir... not really a cooler, but the longer line does dissipate some heat.

And DO NOT use fuel hose for PS/trans fluid. The fuel hose is not PS/trans fluid resistant. It will work for a while, but the fluid will eat through it.

I was wondering what the point of that loop was. I thought xero was talking about some kind of aftermarket hose that had some built-in cooler or something.
I would have thought if anything the fuel would be a lot harder on rubber lines than trans fluid, but I still don't see why you'd even think about running fuel line for that application. I know transmission line will hold up and it's not like its more expensive.

73stingray
03-01-2009, 10:11 PM
so I stopped by pep boys(I was in the area) to pick up some trans cooler hose and what do they give me? fuel line... I didn't think they'd be able to screw up hose, but looks like I was wrong. I'll have to take a trip to NAPA or Advance sometime tomorrow for the right stuff. I'm still hoping that the rack itself isn't the problem.

Add your comment to this topic!