Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tail Light removal.

ricecube77
10-22-2001, 05:54 PM
How? :)

On a P10 btw...

-Phil

Swonder67
10-22-2001, 07:25 PM
you have to unscrew the plastic holding screws that hold the trunk liner in. after you get a few of these screws off, you will be able to see behind the taillight. Over some of the screws are little plastic things. Take a pair of needle nose pliers and pull these plastic things off. now take off the bolts... Here's the interesting part. Infiniti, in all its wisdom, decided to not only secure the taillights with screws, but they also decided to use a shiz load of Silicone. Now you have two options. 1) take a hair dryer, and heat the silicone up to the point where you can pull the taillights off. or 2) turn on your lights, and blinkers, and prop your brake pedal down. the heat from the lights will heat up the sillicone, and after about 5 minutes, the silicone should get all gooey, and you should be able to pull the taillight off. Good luck, and make sure you let the sillicone is loose enough so you don't break the lense

Jay!
10-22-2001, 07:29 PM
Wait. They use silicone to help affix the lights, but normal use of the lights will soften the silicone?

That's dumb. :bloated:

Swonder67
10-22-2001, 07:32 PM
Dumb but true. When I took em off to paint em, I had black goo all over my hands.

ricecube77
10-22-2001, 08:14 PM
I'm thinking i'll just leave the rear lights on to paint it. Too much trouble.
I'll probably end up making the newspaper covers on the bottom taper down to the garage floor and letting the paint run down there. The paint *SHOULD* drip evenly to look even... no?

-Phil

P.S. I'm using transparent cherry red from that T company thing.... i ripped off the label. Just FYI if anyone's wondering...

AznVirus
10-22-2001, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by ricecube77
I'm thinking i'll just leave the rear lights on to paint it. Too much trouble.
I'll probably end up making the newspaper covers on the bottom taper down to the garage floor and letting the paint run down there. The paint *SHOULD* drip evenly to look even... no?

-Phil

P.S. I'm using transparent cherry red from that T company thing.... i ripped off the label. Just FYI if anyone's wondering...

um... if the paint drips, that means you sprayed too much on at a time. use thin even coats. go back and forth and keep the can at least 1 foot away.

Swonder67
10-22-2001, 08:51 PM
AZN's right. too much at once and it will run. I'd do two passes with the spray about a foot away, then let it dry about five minutes. then keep doing that. However, with the lights vertical, it will be pretty diffictult not dripping the paint

Swonder67
10-22-2001, 08:58 PM
also, since it's lights that you are painting, if the paint drips weird at all, it will look retarded when the light goes through it. trust me, do it right and take off the lights. it's really not as hard as it sounds

ricecube77
10-23-2001, 04:36 PM
Did it finally. Figured out a little trick to pop out the lights if they're cold... :))

Give me an email at ricecube77@cs.com if you have questions!

Thanks to everyone that helped me!

-Phil

Pics soon to come!

Swonder67
10-23-2001, 05:27 PM
So you decided to take off the tails to paint em. believe me, you'll be happier with the result in the long run. so how'd you get the taillight out with out heating it up?

Add your comment to this topic!