Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

99 Dodge won't start after rain

tcjimmy
02-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I have a 99 dodge 1500 pickup with the 5.2 engine. After it rains or even if it is real damp out it will not start. when it is dry out it will start right up doesn't miss or anything. I replaced the cap and wires any other ideas?

Airjer_
02-27-2009, 10:44 AM
See if you have spark out of the coil or spark leaking around the coil.

tcjimmy
03-02-2009, 07:27 AM
See if you have spark out of the coil or spark leaking around the coil.
I replaced the coil. so far so good.

Thanks

bratt
03-03-2009, 01:00 PM
my brother had a problem like this! Have you checked your car for leaks? is the windsheild leaking water into the car anywhere. maybe some wiring is wet.

Does the power come on? Please describe what happens when you try to start. Does it try? does it act like its out of battery? what does it do? does it turn and turn and turn for a long time and not fire?

Please give more details.

tcjimmy
03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
No leaks around windshield. . Everything else is fine. everything in the dash works fine. Plenty of battery turns over fine just does't fire. The next day after it rains when it dry's up it starts fine. Like I mentioned earlier I replaced the coil. But it hasn't rained since to see if that eliminated the problem

damn dodge
03-29-2009, 04:47 PM
if the problem comes back, check to see if the rotar and cap are excessively worn, i've seen the spark go through the cap to the distributor screws rather than the rotar, but only when it is wet outside, chck it out. if worn replace and enjoy:sunglasse

iwannagofast
04-07-2009, 09:02 AM
I agree i have seen cracked distributor caps causing a no start/stall out in rain conditions on them 318's

kendorous
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
i have been having the same problem. Very fusterating. Replaced coil,cap, and plugs. When it rains it turns over all days long, give it some gas and it attempts but then fools you. whats next to check?

Add your comment to this topic!