Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Squawk on startup, '02 Windstar

rjeffreeze
02-27-2009, 06:52 AM
02 Windstar, 90k. After the van has been sitting for a day or two, there is a loud squawk noise on startup. It sounds fine when it is turning over, but when it "catches", it squawks, then sounds fine. I thought maybe it was the starter not retracting from the gear it engages with. So, i replaced the starter and it still does it. It seems like the longer it sits, the worse it is. I'm at a loss here, any thoughts? Thanks! :confused:

northern piper
02-27-2009, 07:46 AM
this wouldn't be the compressor clutch clicking in when the van starts if the defroster/AC is on is it? I had that problem on 2 different vans and the clutch was bad.

Piper

garync1
02-27-2009, 12:04 PM
02 Windstar, 90k. After the van has been sitting for a day or two, there is a loud squawk noise on startup. It sounds fine when it is turning over, but when it "catches", it squawks, then sounds fine. I thought maybe it was the starter not retracting from the gear it engages with. So, i replaced the starter and it still does it. It seems like the longer it sits, the worse it is. I'm at a loss here, any thoughts? Thanks! :confused:

Is it the belt you think or more of a gear type noise.. If it a squawk sound my neighbor had a belt squawk sound on his 2003 and I found it to be the belt. I guess during an oil change or something he got a little oil on it. Or he has a leak.. But he and family are driving it, so I guess there is no more problem.. At least he has not said anything about it..But I have not heard it anymore when I see them coming and going from time to time..

Add your comment to this topic!