Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1990 Toyota 4runner 4wd system

jetwhine
02-26-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi to all you Toyota Fans,
I have a 1990 toyota 4runner that I just purchased knowing that the 4wd system will not work. With that said I will try to explain what it is not doing. When I engage the 4wd lever I don't get any idication of engagement, and the front wheels will not turn. I went into the mud to verify and got stuck. I guess that was not too smart but I did have a friend with his toyota truck that did work and he pulled me out. So with this info can anyone tell me where to start the trouble shooting? I don't have a manual that helps trouble shoot.
Thank you in advance for any info.

CL8
02-26-2009, 11:11 PM
Hi to all you Toyota Fans,
I have a 1990 toyota 4runner that I just purchased knowing that the 4wd system will not work. With that said I will try to explain what it is not doing. When I engage the 4wd lever I don't get any idication of engagement, and the front wheels will not turn. I went into the mud to verify and got stuck. I guess that was not too smart but I did have a friend with his toyota truck that did work and he pulled me out. So with this info can anyone tell me where to start the trouble shooting? I don't have a manual that helps trouble shoot.
Thank you in advance for any info.
Ebay sell manuals for all kinds of vehicles
I would check into getting one.

Brian R.
03-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Download a Toyota service manual from here (http://rapidshare.com/files/34006966/Toyota.4Runner.1990.1995.SIL.rar). Check out the transfer case, front differential and front axle sections. Depends on what type of 4WD system you have.

fourwd1
03-12-2009, 08:09 AM
More than likely you have the ADD system, and one/both of the Vacuum Switching Valves is not operating (bad, or wire or vac line disconnected).
This would account for no front axle engagement and no 4WD indicator light. If you had the normal (non-ADD) system and didn't lock your manual hubs or had bad auto hubs, the 4WD indicator would still light (unless it's burned out (possible but unlikely)).

Do you feel the lower gearing when you put the t-case in LOW range?

OzzyO
03-16-2009, 06:52 PM
I have a 94 4Runner and the 4 wheel drive system went, turned out it was the acuator in the front end, it engages your front hubs so you can have 4 wheel drive. With your rig being a 1990 it may have a different acuator setup as 4wheel said.
Good Luck :smokin:

Add your comment to this topic!