Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Power Steering

cruiser69
02-25-2009, 09:22 PM
I have a 99 Alero with a 2.4L engine with 95k on it. I replaced the power steering pump and pressure hose and bled per procedures. I listened to the pump in my garage and it souned fine. Once I took it out for a drive the noise of the pump came right back. Do I still have air in my lines and pump? I am not seeing any air bubbles in the resevoir. Let me know if anyone has any ideas.

Mike'sAlero
02-26-2009, 09:52 AM
Give it a few days, check the level each night and add fluid as necessary. Mine was noisy at first too and now it is fine. Unfortunately I think I need to tighten the fittings more at the rack or the rack is leaking also since I still have puddles under my car. Yeesh.

BNaylor
02-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Unfortunately I think I need to tighten the fittings more at the rack or the rack is leaking also since I still have puddles under my car. Yeesh.

The leaking problem we had at the rack & pinion were the end seals located underneath the accordian boots at the inner tie rod ends so check that out. The GM dealer replaced the complete rack & pinion but that was when we still had the bumper to bumper warranty.

Mike'sAlero
03-02-2009, 01:00 PM
The leaking problem we had at the rack & pinion were the end seals located underneath the accordian boots at the inner tie rod ends so check that out. The GM dealer replaced the complete rack & pinion but that was when we still had the bumper to bumper warranty.

You are right on. I looked under there yesterday and the fittings look fine, but there is fluid all over the steering gear boot at the inner tie rod. The leaking has been reduced substantially by replacing the hoses, though. I will wait for warmer weather to replace the rack (10degF yesterday = sucky wrenching weather).

Btw, it is my understanding that there is variable assist on my steering rack (1999 GLS 3.4L). Rockauto insists (110% guarantee, actually) that the rack they sell, without variable assist, is what all Alero models use. Can anyone clarify this issue?

BNaylor
03-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Btw, it is my understanding that there is variable assist on my steering rack (1999 GLS 3.4L). Rockauto insists (110% guarantee, actually) that the rack they sell, without variable assist, is what all Alero models use. Can anyone clarify this issue?

Sorry to hear that. It is a PITA to replace but can be done DIY with patience.

Just about all Alero GL2 and GLS models should have the Magnasteer (variable ratio steering). We have it in our '02 GL2. Check for the EVO actuator at the power steering pump. You will see an electrical connector at the bottom of the P.S. pump. If you see it you have Magnasteer. Also, at the floorboard area at the coupling you will see feedback sensor wires at the steering column.

I'll check to see if the rack and pinions are different or have unique part numbers.

richtazz
03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Your Rock Auto parts monkey is 110% incorrect!!! :lol:

The rack and pinions are different between variable steering (RPO code NV7) and non-variable.

Variable AC-Delco 36-16515 (GM#88991038)
non-variable AC-Delco 36-16514 (GM#88991037)

The power steering pumps are the same part number, you just have to remove the manual pressure valve from the new pump, and replace it with the EVO valve from the old pump.

BNaylor
03-02-2009, 02:45 PM
Thanks Rich. :thumbsup:

richtazz
03-02-2009, 02:50 PM
no problem Bob, always a pleasure to help you out!

Mike'sAlero
03-05-2009, 10:40 PM
Your Rock Auto parts monkey is 110% incorrect!!! :lol:

The rack and pinions are different between variable steering (RPO code NV7) and non-variable.

Variable AC-Delco 36-16515 (GM#88991038)
non-variable AC-Delco 36-16514 (GM#88991037)

The power steering pumps are the same part number, you just have to remove the manual pressure valve from the new pump, and replace it with the EVO valve from the old pump.

I thought so. Thanks for the help. Seems like the leak at the steering gear boots is fairly minor. I'll leave it for now anyway.

Add your comment to this topic!