Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

ARhh Head Gasket Questions/Longevity

JediKnight2
02-25-2009, 03:22 PM
I have the dreaded Head Gasket problem...I had the intake manifold gaskets replaced just a few months ago thinking this was the problem...came back and the whole needle creeping/no heat problem came back....I told my mechanic I was just going to take it to Chevy for a diag to see if they could figure it out.....they called back today and said the radiator needs replacing and the head gaskets are leaking. Not sure HOW they figure this out, the guy didn't know and didn't want to ask the 60 year old tech how he came to the diagnosis...but it goes hand in hand with EVERYTHING that is written within this forum.

My question is this....for those that have done the head gasket repair...what is the longevity of the repair? Is it a recurring issue after the fix? Or has your van not had this issue for a reasonable time afterward? Chevy wants a LOT to do the work...I don't mind getting the thing fixed if it fixes the issue. I just want it FIXED. However, I don't want to have to do a head gasket every year or two either.

Also, have they changed the head gaskets from aluminum...anything I should tell my mechanic to do or look out for so I can give him a heads up?

BTW...IF YOU ARE HAVING THE CREEPING NEEDLE, NO HEAT ISSUE...SAVE YOURSELF MONEY...if you are doing the intake gaskets...GO AHEAD AND DO THE HEAD GASKETS!

JediKnight2
02-26-2009, 10:57 AM
WOW...that bad huh?

How about sending the heads to the machine shop if they aren't warped...should I just send them to have them tested...or if the heads look ok, go with it,,,

merc81
02-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Not sure what to suggest to you. I did three vans with LIM problems. All 3 also had head problems. After the first van when I did only the LIM and had to do the heads later, I just did the heads as a matter of course on the next one.
In two of the vans, I had the heads rebuilt (once the head is off for the gasket job, I always take the head to a shop for inspection). One of those sets was so bad I had to replace it with new. The 3rd van was newer and had no head problems so I just changed the gaskets.
Both of the vans with the bad heads went on to snap the cam shafts about a 1000 mile or so later. I replaced both engines at that point.

I think from this experience and from the engine rebuilder's comments that the bearings on the cams get worn when coolant leaks through the gaskets. If you catch the problem before damage is done you are OK. That's a hard call to make though. The engine rebuilder tells me that almost every core he takes in for rebuild has a snapped cam shaft. That tells quite a bit.

I'd judge the engine based on its milage and history of leaks. If its been going on for some time and you have already replaced the LIM, and also if the mileage is over 100-125, I'd be concerned that your cam is already wearing. In that case I don't think its worth the head job--go for a replacement engine. Its not much more than a head overhaul and gasket job.
Ask the guy that is going to do this work about the cam bearing problem. Maybe someone who really has experience with these engines has a way to determine what the chances are of the cam failing on it.

I can tell you its a real bummer to replace the heads and then have the cam snap:frown:
The next time I am faced with one of these engines and a LIM job, I will look real hard at an entire engine replacement.

JediKnight2
03-07-2009, 02:43 PM
Mechanic just called....said cylinder 1 had antifreeze in it...Looks like it's not enough of a leak to mess up my oil or anything though, so HOPEFULLY everything will go good after this head gasket repair.:banghead::banghead:

Cressidaadr
03-08-2009, 10:18 AM
Mechanic just called....said cylinder 1 had antifreeze in it...Looks like it's not enough of a leak to mess up my oil or anything though, so HOPEFULLY everything will go good after this head gasket repair.:banghead::banghead:

I have been down this same road. I too first replaced the LIM gaskets thinking (hoping) that was the problem - and by the way it was the third time for replacing the LIM gasket on this engine with 135,000 miles. My engine also had a head gasket leak on the number 1 cylinder.

I sure hope I can beat the odds on the camshaft !

As an aside, thanks to Merc81 for the encouraging comments on the rocker arm bolts question I had the other day. My engine seems to be running fine so far - I just got it running again yesterday so I'll wait another week before I declare victory this time :runaround:

cjstew4
03-09-2009, 02:21 PM

Jedi,
Had the LIM and heads resurfaced (just do this no matter what the mechanic says) at 95k in my '97 and it is still going strong (knocking on wood as I type this) at 183K. Also, if it had overheated prior to this, replace the water pump and triple "y"/ "X" shaped hose set carrying coolant right in front of the fire wall. This and a few other coolant hoses will leak if they have not already, but this one is hard to get to and best replaced now. Make sure the t-stat is replaced no matter what the mechanic may tell you. It is a pain and costly to replace ($300+) if done at a different time. Good luck.

JediKnight2
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
triple "y"/ "X" shaped hose set carrying coolant right in front of the fire wall.

What one is that? Location or photo?

rockwood84
03-09-2009, 10:31 PM
the x y is the wad of heater hoses behind the egr valve i'm thinking .there are two that will eat through the onion wrap and rub together and leak.and do not put a t-stat that is made in mexico in or you will end up taking it back out.get one made in usa and it will open when it should...

Add your comment to this topic!