Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Freestars??

s1120
02-25-2009, 12:16 PM
Well sence I have retired the old 96 Winnie, I am looking at a few 06 Freestars. Anyone know anything about them?? Seems like they worked out most of the bugs that the windstars had. The Freestar board on here is pretty slow, so I guess thats a good sign. :D Anyone have any experance with the Freestars?? Thanks for any help!

mundy5
02-25-2009, 01:44 PM
The Freestar board on here is pretty slow, so I guess thats a good sign.

you could be right. or there are just not enough freestar owners and most of them owning freestars less than 5 yrs old will have minimal issues. I didn't start having issues with my windstar until near the 5 yr mark.

so just wait. the first ones came out in '04 I think and they stopped making them in '06 or '07. so it is a "limited" edition vehicle from Ford.

garync1
02-25-2009, 06:32 PM
I had one.. My ex has it now... It seem reliable.. has a 4.2.. It gets up and goes.. Also it drove a lot tighter.. Its good around the curves.. Or a lot better than the Windstar. But its not a smooth of a ride. Oh also on my photo sharing I have a pic on how to change the Fuel filter. Have to drop the tank a few inches. Not hard but you will need a floor jack..It was half full with gas too.. Just remember to remove the gas cap and loosen the nut to the filler tube.. Don't want to stretch the filler tube. Oh another issue is spark knock. If not under warranty you will have to pay about 75.00 for the pcm reprogram. They lean it to far out from the factory to improve mpg's. My ex asked me about it the other day. She said it started back again but it was not as loud as it was the first time.. Told her to take it to the dealer.. Get the SEL.. There nice.. Thats what I had..

s1120
03-26-2009, 09:04 AM
I had one.. My ex has it now... It seem reliable.. has a 4.2.. It gets up and goes.. Also it drove a lot tighter.. Its good around the curves.. Or a lot better than the Windstar. But its not a smooth of a ride. Oh also on my photo sharing I have a pic on how to change the Fuel filter. Have to drop the tank a few inches. Not hard but you will need a floor jack..It was half full with gas too.. Just remember to remove the gas cap and loosen the nut to the filler tube.. Don't want to stretch the filler tube. Oh another issue is spark knock. If not under warranty you will have to pay about 75.00 for the pcm reprogram. They lean it to far out from the factory to improve mpg's. My ex asked me about it the other day. She said it started back again but it was not as loud as it was the first time.. Told her to take it to the dealer.. Get the SEL.. There nice.. Thats what I had..

Thanks for the info!! Well I am back looking for a van, and finding some good deals on these. All I have looked at are SE's though. How are they for towing??

garync1
03-26-2009, 06:40 PM
Thanks for the info!! Well I am back looking for a van, and finding some good deals on these. All I have looked at are SE's though. How are they for towing??

Well They have them same trans as the old Windstars.. I am sure they maybe updated just a bit.. But still a car tranny pushing a truck.. Does have more power.. But the Hp rating is only a few points higher than the Windstar I think..

s1120
03-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Well the one I am looking at have the 3.9L V6 and has just a tick less HP then the old 3.8L. From what I have found online, and from talking to Ford guys, is that they are pretty bulit proof. Only thing you realy find on line, is tranny issues. And frankly, you look up ANY modern car on line with a newer 4speed OD auto in them, you will always see them called a POS becouse of tranny issues. SO I always take that with a grain of salt.

garync1
03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Well the one I am looking at have the 3.9L V6 and has just a tick less HP then the old 3.8L. From what I have found online, and from talking to Ford guys, is that they are pretty bulit proof. Only thing you realy find on line, is tranny issues. And frankly, you look up ANY modern car on line with a newer 4speed OD auto in them, you will always see them called a POS becouse of tranny issues. SO I always take that with a grain of salt.

Still I would look for the 2006 SEL type... Just more for your money and they have the nice wheels.. Also if you keep the trans fluid flushed and clean you should be ok.. I got the one my ex drives in 2007 for 14,000 bucks with only 18,000 miles. I am sure you can do better now.. Only issue was the spark knock. Dealer updated the timing by computer.. Under warranty so it was free..

s1120
04-04-2009, 06:13 AM
Well Im getting the freestar!! Ya, its just a SE, but I could not pass on the deal!!!

Now I just got to get the broken heap of a blown up 96 Windstar out of my drive. :D :D

Add your comment to this topic!