Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

LIM - Oil pump removal trick?

heimdawg
02-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I'm twisting and pulling (it does spin) this sucker and it won't pop out. Any tips or do I just need to hit the weights and/or bust my knuckles up until it pops out?

Thanks guys.

merc81
02-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Sorry I was out for a day. What are you doing taking out the oil pump drive shaft?:runaround:
You break that sucker and you are in for a bad, bad day. :frown:
The lower end of the shaft has a nylon coupling that just snaps onto the oil pump. I would not pull on that. If you damage it, you almost have to pull the engine to get up to it. The oil pan does not come off while the engine is in the car :eek:

Its been said that the SEAL on the oil pump drive shaft leaks sometimes and maybe should be replaced while you are in there, but if it ain't broke . . .

Its only an O ring that seals the top shaft bearing to the block. You just need to pull it staight up. I'd leave it alone unless you think it leaks.

heimdawg
02-26-2009, 11:52 AM
1. You are not allowed to be out any more. My back is killing me from yanking on that thing.
2. Thanks for the tip. I was going under the advice, "while you're in there and it's accessable...." Instead I will go with your's, "if it ain't broke..."

I don't think it's leaking although it might now that I've yanked and yanked. I'm just going to leave it. It's time to put the whole thing back together. Wish me luck.
I'm glad you're back. Thanks Merc.

-

merc81
02-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Sorry. I'll keep a closer eye on your post.
I hope you have no further troubles with this job. Its nice to see progress reports on these things though :disappoin
I take it you got the pump up out of the way? What happened with the fuel rail? Is that removed or did you decide to go with it still attached?
Did you remove the fuel lines at the quick fittings?

After you bandage you fingers and ease your back, practice your typing skills a bit...

fyi I generally boost the van up in air so I don't have to bend over so far, but it still gets my back.

Add your comment to this topic!