Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Need advice/insight on what maintenance on a engine swap

happydog500
02-24-2009, 03:46 PM
I got a good used motor to put in my 97. Has 110,000. The cost of putting it in is getting higher and higher since I got the motor.

We are going to seal up the motor. New rear main, front, UIM, then LIM, valve cover, etc.... I guess where now going to put in a new water pump ("a lot easier to do now then it is once it's in the car").

Since the part that failed was the timing chain (bolt on the end of the camshaft), he asked me if I wanted to put in a new timing set.

A simple motor swap, then a couple gaskets, which then added the UIM, LIM, then water pump, now maybe a Timing gear/chain?

Seems like such a good idea at the time to swap motors, but now I kind of regret doing this (maybe a few positive words in reply wold help).

On one hand, he just did a repair job on a car with a 3.8 motor, that had 220,000. It had the original timing chain, so maybe I don't need it? (I had my foot on the gas, accelerating at 118mph when it broke, don't plan on gong over 95mph when passing, with this motor).

My water pump had 152,000 when the bolt/key broke. How long should a water pump last?

Not sure what to do on this. Any advice or incite to what should be changed when putting in a 110,000 mile motor?

Thank you,
Chris.

spinne1
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
To go to that much trouble and NOT just tear the whole engine down is a huge waste of time, in my opinion. 110,000 could be near the end of life for this engine if it was abused. It would be wise to at least tear it down and clean everything and replace all the gaskets, the piston rings, the timing chain tensioner, the main bearings, the rod bearings, the valve guides, and whatever else I cannot remember. Oh yeah, hone the cylinders once it is apart. Clean everything in soap and hot water and then wipe off with rubber gloves and acetone. This is a very large job unless you take it all to a shop for cleaning (which makes identifying the parts harder if they are all in one big group--especially all the bolts.) A common source of wear on the 3800 is the camshaft. If you find pitting or abnormal wear on any lobe, replace the whole thing ($150-$200.)

If you do this right, you'll have it last many, many years.

Jrs3800
02-26-2009, 05:19 PM
as far as this motor is concerned... If the rear main is dry I would at this point leave it alone.. Retorque the Rear cover plate bolts.. Replace the UIM along with updating to the Aluminum gaskets for the lower intake.. Beyond that I wouldn't do anything else to the motor..

As stated above, if you are going that far into the motor you might just as well rebuild it..

Add your comment to this topic!