Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Which o2 Sensor?

iceman2
02-24-2009, 11:05 AM
I know this has been discussed - have a 1997 PT, 3.4L, need to replace the front (upstream) sensor - which brand will work properly? Is Denso actually AC Delco with a different label? How about Delphi? I've heard Bosch is hit or miss, I tried the Borg-Warner from Ebay - nogo.

thanks.

Jrs3800
02-24-2009, 01:18 PM
I always recommend AC Delco for that sensor.. But I have found that Denso is ok as well.. I believe that Denso makes sensors for AC Delco these days... I use them on my cars anymore..

Its worth a try...

The sensor you want to replace is the one right near the Downpipe just behind the motor..

yellowfiero
02-24-2009, 04:35 PM
I've had good luck with Bosch

iceman2
02-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I always recommend AC Delco for that sensor.. But I have found that Denso is ok as well.. I believe that Denso makes sensors for AC Delco these days... I use them on my cars anymore..

Its worth a try...

The sensor you want to replace is the one right near the Downpipe just behind the motor..

How difficult is this to get to? I'll have it on a lift.

iceman2
02-25-2009, 07:15 AM
I purchased the Denso version, will post my results. Excellent info, BTW, on youtube about o2 sensors.

yellowfiero
02-25-2009, 06:54 PM
I purchased the Denso version, will post my results. Excellent info, BTW, on youtube about o2 sensors.

link?

iceman2
02-26-2009, 07:16 AM
link?

Yes, I certainly owe an answer, unfortunately they're not coming up in my browser history, here is one: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=o2+sensor+replacement&aq=0, -- you can go to youtube and type in 'o2 sensor replacement', the most interesting one was how to bench test your o2 sensor using a multi-meter and blow torch.

Jrs3800
02-26-2009, 05:14 PM
Glad you got it replaced..

I have seen that Vid before... Its good info... But I do like to see what the sensor is doing in the exhaust stream... I like to know the Voltage swing and the Cross currents..

I have seen too many people use Bosh on GM's with bad results.. Myself included..

AC Delco/ Denso is what I recommend for a GM car or truck..

yellowfiero
02-28-2009, 09:21 PM
my '95 with 186K uses a Bosch for the last 102K w/o problems.

Jrs3800
03-01-2009, 12:40 PM
95 what? What are we comparing to?

I have used Bosh and had early failures.. Too many other to count have used Bosch on GM 3800's and have had issues with fueling and Failure, that for both heated and non heated.. I do not recommend Bosch Plugs or Bosch O2's for any GM V6..

yellowfiero
03-01-2009, 02:34 PM
95 what? What are we comparing to?

I have used Bosh and had early failures.. Too many other to count have used Bosch on GM 3800's and have had issues with fueling and Failure, that for both heated and non heated.. I do not recommend Bosch Plugs or Bosch O2's for any GM V6..

95 transport 3.8

Jrs3800
03-01-2009, 02:49 PM
In that case you are lucky..

At Current I have a Denso in my 95 Bonneville with no issues.. Good mileage too and good mv swing with good cross currents..

The Van at Current has the AC Delco AFS-75... Good mv Swing as well with good cross currents..

Both do low 20's in town easily... The Van does 24mpg mixed driving with the Ac on..

The Van will have the Denso sensor soon as it will have a Series III 3800 Swap..

To the OP, Glad you got the sensor replaced..

96tsport
03-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Got a bosch in my 96 3.4 since ~ 8/8/08.

iceman2
03-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Sorry if this stirred the pot. 1997 PT, 3.4L v6. I replaced the engine with about 140k miles, 2 years ago, due to failed head gaskets. The old one had sludge throughout the engine, Service Engine Soon (SES) light was on, OBDII indicated downstream sensor was damaged (probably from all of the foul exhausts due to the failed Head gaskets). Bought a cheap o2 sensor from Ebay, (brand is BWD), still got the code, took it in to the garage, mechanic said it needed a 'good quality' o2 sensor, charged me $100 just for the part, so I assumed it was an AC Delco. In the meantime, I had him replace the upstream with another Borg Warner from Ebay. Everything was okay for a while, then the SES light started coming on intermittenly, engine dying and stalling at lights and stops, gas mileage was in the 16s, OBDII code pointed to upstream sensor, so I assumed again it was the cheap BWD o2 sensor that was the problem. Purchased a Denso version from Rockauto and when I went to do the install, I realized the front BWD sensor was loose! I also noticed my mechanic replaced the downstream sensor with a Bosch and not an AC Delco, and charged me $100 (not including labor) for the Bosch version - how do you like that? To summarize, the engine is running great right now, the Bosch is working fine, and, for all I know the BWD would have worked had it been properly installed.

Add your comment to this topic!