Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Tail lights not working when not in use?

duhlikemanda
02-23-2009, 10:28 PM
My right hand tail lights aren't working when they're not in use...

They aren't on when I have my parking lights on or head lights on. However, they do work when I press the brake, use my signal, and when I put my hazards on.

This applies to the front right hand marker light, too. When the blinker is on it blinks, but when my parking lights are on it is not. All of the lights on the left hand side of the vehicle work as they should.

My dashboard lights also do not work.

I have checked all of the fuses and replaced the one that was blown. It was a tail light fuse but made no difference to the operation of the lights.

Any suggestions as to why this might be happening?

hyundai tech
02-28-2009, 01:02 PM
:) I have found this problem before. I found the right rear tail/brake light is installed wrong,or has the wrong bulb installed. remove the bulb and check to see if it has a single contact point on the bottom of the bulb or a duel contact point on the bottom of the bulb? some tail lights are a duel function light so they have tail light and brake light combined,or are single function and have a duel bulb installed.this will cause a feedback in the circuit which is why the dash lights and side marker lights light up with the brake depressed.

jsinton
02-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Excellent answer, Hyundai Tech.

If not the bulbs, then suspect the relay is bad. Some of the relays are identical with each other. You can check them by switching them out.

You didn't specify the year and model of your car, or I could point out the location of the correct relays.

Add your comment to this topic!