Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Been There Done That. Guys I break question.

[iV]Kermit
02-21-2009, 12:50 PM
From all you guys that have been there and done that, I've never changed my brakes before.

I'm wondering if a noob can complete this task. I have all next weekend to do it. . .

I have a 93 5speed. I am wanting to change my front brakes, rotors, etc.

Any tips, or advice as to how long this might take me (3-4 hours?) that would be great!

junior71991
05-14-2009, 10:13 PM
Brakes are a relatively simple process. If you want me to explain it I can but your best source of extremely reliable info would be from a Haynes Manual. If you plan on doing most of the maintenence on your '93, then I highly recommend purchasing a Haynes Manual. They are invaluable if you plan to do most of the maintenence yourself, and It will tell you exactly how to do your brakes. Pick one up at a farm and fleet or automotive store like Mills Fleet Farm, NAPA, Advance Auto Parts, etc.

javatrooper
06-09-2009, 08:38 PM
Be forewarned---at least on my 90 trooper, even though the manual says that you can compress the piston on the disc brakes by screwing them in --to replace the pads, it is impossible to do on mine. I always just buy the whole caliper. More cash but way easier and you end up with better/safer brakes anyway. Real quick too.

javatrooper
06-09-2009, 08:42 PM
Also, have someone on hand when it comes time to bleed them. I've actually sone it by myself using a compressible shower curtain rod on the brake pedal, but I live in the boonies and my wife is usually real busy. You just need someone to press on the brake pedal.

Add your comment to this topic!