Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

'03 Windstar Surging Idle at Cold

vtouba
02-21-2009, 12:09 PM
:confused: I'm having a similar problem as "rjeffreeeze" with my '03 @82K. I would call it "severe idle surging" 3-5 minutes after a cold start, bad enough to stall if I don't put it in neutral. Runs fine once it's warmed up.
I had CEL p0171, changed the bank 1 O2 sensor...talk about fun! >:( No help though. Re-read CEL, got p0171 & p0174 together. Used MAF cleaner spray on the MAF & cleared the CEL but, it came back on, same codes. I'm ready to replace the MAF unless someone suggests something better. Thanks in advance.

mundy5
02-21-2009, 02:06 PM
First thing you need to do is to go through the isolator bolt replacement found on the very first sticky post. The P0171 and P0174 are not indicator of a bad O2 sensor. It is actually the isolator bolts going bad. Look at the lemky website as well. it is very instructive.

I did mine about 1 year ago and haven't had any issues since.

don't replace anything else. I bought the kit from ebay for $90 but it might be cheaper elsewhere now.

vtouba
05-01-2009, 11:45 PM
Thanks Mundy!:worshippy I took your advice and performed TSB 03-16-01 on my own for about $100 in parts from Rock Auto. I found that to remove the upper intake manifold and isolator, the upper and lower cowl covers had to be completely removed.

The TSB cleared the 0171 and 0174 codes but, I still had a P0401 (insufficient EGR flow) to deal with. I replaced the DPFE with a "Standard" brand part (made in USA) for $102 and...voila! no more CEL.

This is the ultimate forum for automotive DIY'ers :biggrin:. Thanks to all who contribute.

Add your comment to this topic!