Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Geo Metro Starter Compatibility Question

doug2060
02-21-2009, 09:30 AM
I need to buy a starter for a 91 Automatic Metro. From what I can tell there are two types. One for a VIN 2 and one for a VIN J. One is made by Mitsubishi and one by Denso. Mine is made by Mitsubishi. I am being told by one person that is trying to sell me a Denso starter that they are interchangeable and I can use either one. I have another person I have to be specific between the two. Does anyone here know if they are the same. Can I use either the Denso or Mitsubishi or do I have to stick with the Mitsubishi. I will be buying online (cheaper) so I can't visually inspect the parts.

bennie442
02-21-2009, 01:38 PM
It's my understanding that there are two applications; one for an automatic transmission, and one for a manual transmission. I've never had the two side by side to see what the differences are.

doug2060
02-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Yes, I've heard that also but there are apparently two different ones for the automatic. I just don't know if one can be substituted for the other.

Metro Mighty Mouse
02-21-2009, 03:32 PM
if there is a difference between the starters there would have to be a difference in the flywheel or the mounting points. I would say it is unlikely to be different transmissions unless it is for different years. that would leave the flywheel as potentially different. if you can't find a different flywheel available then it should be the same.

Add your comment to this topic!