Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Just bought a car need an answer

Clloyd54
02-20-2009, 07:22 PM
I just bought a car today, Friday that was about 45 minutes away, but in the same state. I am going to get it tomorrow, but need to know what paper work i need to drive it home. It is not registered under my insurance obviously i just bought it and its the weekend. Can i take my plates from my car now with my registartion and go get the car put those plates on it and with the title and bill of sale drive it home?

Clloyd54
02-20-2009, 07:23 PM
please help?

inafogg
02-20-2009, 07:42 PM
hello,using the plates off another car is'nt legal but you can if you dont get stopped.you can call your ins. co. they should be able to give you something over the phone.you can also call motor vehicle & get a temp # to bring/drive car to inspection station(dont have to go just drive home)atleast thats what goes on in delaware hope it helps good luck

Clloyd54
02-20-2009, 07:56 PM
yea i know that but its the weekend, do i have to wait until monday

kris
02-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Most insurance companies do offer a coverage under your current policy for situations like this. I would not recommend driving without plates, or some type of temp tag. Call your DMV in the morning and ask them.

'97ventureowner
02-23-2009, 01:00 AM
Here's a link to your state's DMV office with info on registering a vehicle you just purchased:http://www.mass.gov/rmv/regs/index.htm It seems you will have to wait until at least Monday morning if you want it done legally.

Add your comment to this topic!