Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

91 jetta abnormal spark issue wont start

mybestconnect
02-20-2009, 04:18 AM
I have only had car for couple months and it has always had a starting issue of: 1st start of day was normal, after running 5-10 minutes it would require extensive cranking with varied results. Sometimes it would flood out and sometimes it acted like no gas or spark?? but it would start eventually. Then one day at a gas station it wouldnt start after running down 2 batteries trying. It spit and sputtered and acted like lack of fuel.Turned out that the in tank fuel pump died. Replaced it and now it still wont start and it now has multiple symptons. One spark and No spark. Plugs, Plug Wires, Dist Cap and Rotor are new. The one spark when turning key to on position is: With coil wire out of dist cap but resting very near the coil wire hole in center of ign dist cap (Jumps from coil wire to contact in dist cap) one time only, just when key is turned from off to on only When cranking eng over there is no spark there (coil wire to contact in center of dist cap) or with coil wire connected back up to dist cap, No spark at the spark plugs either, (When cranking eng over)
Ignition type is a Digifont 1, eng size is 1.8ltr, 8 valve (4 intk/4 exhs) Fuel Injected
The fuel pump in front of the tank no longer comes on for 1 - 2 seconds like its supposed to. Fuel pump issue started after pump in tank died (and before new pump was installed in tank) New in tank fuel pump only comes on when key is in start position and eng is cranking over. Dont know if it stays on with eng running and key back at on/run position because engine wont start. Same with fuel pump in front of fuel tank. Fuel is getting to injector tube with strong pressure however after cranking eng for 30 seconds or more 3 or 4 times, spark plugs look bone dry and have no gas smell on them. . How do I check fuel pump relay? I know where it is and it clicks once when key is turned on. Hopefully this has explained in detial enough that someone might know what is wrong without me having to replace parts not needed. HELP PLEASE!!!!

Add your comment to this topic!