Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

Olds 2000 Silhouette - How to I remove the headrest?

shelzmike
02-19-2009, 04:05 PM
Hey all - I am getting ready to install monitors in the headrests of my 2000 Old Silhouette; however, I cannot get the headrests to come all the way off. They catch at the very top and unlike other cars that i have worked with, this one does not have a release button.

Anyone know how this is accomplished? Thanks.

Mike

'97ventureowner
02-19-2009, 11:45 PM
I believe there is a tool that you insert in to the slot that the headrest goes into. The purpose of the tool is to unlock the headrest from the seat.I believe the tool is available from GM ( and maybe there are aftermarket versions available as well). The part number if I remember correctly is J 42372. I don't have a picture of what it looks like but I have heard others have made homemade versions of this tool that works and saves you money.

shelzmike
02-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I have read that too. The GM tool is expensive and I cannot find anywhere where anyone has posted how to make one of these tools. There are drawn images of the tool in places, but none of them reference how big it is, needs to be. I have pretty much decided to install the monitors with the headrests in place. There is not any real reason I can't do that.

Mike

'97ventureowner
02-20-2009, 02:04 AM
Don't know how much help this picture would be , but here is a link to the tool available online:http://www.etoolcart.com/headrestremovaltoolj-42372.aspx
I wonder if such a tool could be rented from those auto parts stores that rent out tools, or if you went to your local bodyshop, how much would they charge to just remove the headrests for you with their tool?

shelzmike
02-20-2009, 02:09 AM
Yeah, thanks for the picture, but that is the same one I am seeing all over the place. It does not show how big it is, which is my problem.

The bodyshop idea is a good one. I live in one of those small rural towns where there is a good chance that they would do this for me without charging me anything. With the tool it can't take anymore than like what? 2 Minutes?

Thanks for the help!

'97ventureowner
02-20-2009, 02:12 AM
With the tool it can't take anymore than like what? 2 Minutes?

Thanks for the help!

...or a 6 pack of the tech's favorite brew :lol: ( ah the good 'ol days).

shelzmike
02-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Believe it or not, it is still that way around here! I live in a rural town in Virginia.

Actually, I went to the only body shop around and they couldn't help me. Though they gave me a tool to try and I ended up breaking it, offered to replace it and they said do not worry about it.

Then I went to the GM dealer that is down the highway. They actually had the tools and offered to help me get them out at no charge. But get this: after 15 minutes of trying, we STILL could not get them out. So I just said screw it and installed the monitors while they were still on the seat, which actually worked pretty well. I got foam all over my car, but I need to clean it anyway - so no big deal. I had never installed monitors in the headrest (or even watched anyone do it) so it took me a while, but it actually turn out really good - so I am pleased. I still have one more to go though!

Mike

kidfam
03-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I bought a tool which I thought would work for the headrests and it is nothing butfor headrest removal which is L-shape.

http://www.etoolcart.com/headrestremovaltoolj-42214-a.aspx

It definately is of no use for my 98. What I did end up using is a small jewelers type slotted screwdriver and what I did was as follows:

1. Pull up the headrest as far as it will go.

2. Pry apart the plastic washers/grommets that are on the headrest post between the seat back and the headrest. Note: There is one plastic washer above the seat back cover and one underneath it.

3. Move both plastic washers/grommets up the posts and tape them to the headrests so they are out of the way.

4. With a flashlight, tiny screwdriver or tool look down to where the post goes into a black colored block. You should see a silver horizontal pin that is locked in the groove of the headrest post.

5. Pry the pin side ways away from the post out of the groove and then pull the headrest up.

6. Repeat the steps for the other side headrest post unitil the headrest comes fully out of the seat back.

Getting them out is very frustraiting. Another great GM design. NOT!

Add your comment to this topic!