1998 1500 problems

mega8man
02-19-2009, 01:03 AM
I have a few problems going on with my 98 silverado. I was wondering if there is a fuse for the headlight chime mine doesn't work and i cannot figure where it is or where the fuse would be. also my oil pressure stays at 20 while i am at a stop and also sometimes jumps a little while accelerating and when it jumps it always is down not up. I am just want to know if that is normal or if i should check the sending unit. Thank you for the help!

brcidd
02-19-2009, 09:29 AM
Does your truck "chime" when seat belts not fastened and ignition is on and driver's door is closed? or when key is in ignition and driver's door is open?

If not- I highly suspect your chime module is inop-remove your audio alarm module (approx 1" x 2" box plugged into the right hand side) from the convenience center (above left driver's foot)- and test it.

All three above mentioned items have inputs into this module- if the chime does not work on any of those 3 things- the chances are the chime module is bad- if only the headlight reminder is bad- then we can continue tracing circuits...

As for the oil pressure- most of the time the sending unit is failing when that happens- but to be sure it is always best to physically plumb in a mechanical test gauge to prove out the sending unit...

j cAT
02-19-2009, 11:32 AM
I have a few problems going on with my 98 silverado. I was wondering if there is a fuse for the headlight chime mine doesn't work and i cannot figure where it is or where the fuse would be. also my oil pressure stays at 20 while i am at a stop and also sometimes jumps a little while accelerating and when it jumps it always is down not up. I am just want to know if that is normal or if i should check the sending unit. Thank you for the help!

the oil pressures seem low ...I would expect 40psi....the fluctuating indication should be checked out with a pressure guage...I would put a T fitting on the engine and monitor the gauges for similiar readings...

if these fluctuate this could mean engine / oil pump problems.

no chime sounds good to me...

mega8man
02-19-2009, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info I will probably check it out today but I'm not sure because it is 14 degrees outside. brrr... Ill keep you posted.

Add your comment to this topic!