Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Camshaft seal

wtaylo1
02-17-2009, 10:16 PM
I have a 98 accord 4 cylinder v tec that is leaking oil from the rear camshaft seal. Can I change the seal without removing the camshaft or will I have to remove it?

wtaylo1
02-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the reply and the advice. Not what I was hoping for but that's OK, I'll deal with it. I just needed some advice. Thanks again.

kris
02-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Is it in fact leaking from the cylinder head? I believe your motor has only one camshaft. If you can provide a little more info, I can help you narrow it down.

wtaylo1
02-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Over on the left side of the engine at the end of the valve cover where the distributor is mounted is where the oil is dripping. The distributor is sitting sideways and the oil is on the bottom of it. I was thinking there had to be a seal of some kind right there. Maybe it's not the camshaft after all. Tell me what you think. Thanks.

mpumas
02-19-2009, 01:15 AM
So it is leaking at the point where the distributor connects to the cylinder head. There is an O ring on the distributor shaft and that could be leaking. Also, check inside the distributor to see if there is any oil inside. If there is, it is time for another distributor. You could also have a bad gasket on the valve cover. The gasket is flat except where it goes over the last bearing. If sealant is not used on the corners, you will get an oil leak.

somick
02-19-2009, 11:43 AM
So it is leaking at the point where the distributor connects to the cylinder head. There is an O ring on the distributor shaft and that could be leaking. Also, check inside the distributor to see if there is any oil inside. If there is, it is time for another distributor. You could also have a bad gasket on the valve cover. The gasket is flat except where it goes over the last bearing. If sealant is not used on the corners, you will get an oil leak.
This is a perfect explanation.

Start with the distributor. Remove it: it is only 3 bolts. Make sure you do not move anything. The distributor seal is only couple of bucks.

Clean everything around the leak. If this is a valve cover gasket leak, try to tighten valve cover bolts quarter to have of a turn. It may work.

Good luck,

Sam

wtaylo1
02-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks to everyone for heading me in the right direction. Today I removed the distributor cap and found some oil in the bottom of the distributor and it appears to have been leaking out between the distributor housing and the cap. Tomorrow I'll be removing the distributor and replacing that o-ring. Again, thanks for all the help.

kris
02-20-2009, 10:18 PM
Thanks to everyone for heading me in the right direction. Today I removed the distributor cap and found some oil in the bottom of the distributor and it appears to have been leaking out between the distributor housing and the cap. Tomorrow I'll be removing the distributor and replacing that o-ring. Again, thanks for all the help.

Good deal.

mpumas
02-21-2009, 12:10 AM
There is not supposed to be oil inside the distributor. Replacing the O ring which seals the distributor body from the head will not solve a oil inside the distributor problem. What is leaking is the seal on the distributor drive shaft which is not repairable according to Honda. As I mentioned in my earlier post, time for a new distributor.

mpumas
02-21-2009, 12:21 AM
Oh, and when removing the distributor you need to remove the 3 holding bolts on the side plus loosen the pinch bolt on the head to get the distributor shaft out of the head.

wtaylo1
02-21-2009, 03:08 PM
OK, I misunderstood. I was thinking the o-ring would solve the problem but since not, I'll go ahead and get a new distributor. I really do appreciate all the advice. Thanks.

FrankVtec88
02-21-2009, 07:55 PM
It's great to have gearheads here! Cool advice and explanation.

Add your comment to this topic!