Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Can I do these myself?

bighops2000
02-17-2009, 08:44 PM
I'm no dummy and I am no stranger to a little bit of work under the hood. I have the haynes manual but there are a few things that I need to get done and I would like to try to do it myself.

1. Rear Rotors and pads all the way around. I have a regular jack (came with the car...not one of the big ones with wheels.

2. Front axel.

Its not mandatory that I try to do these myself but I like the sense of accomplishment after doing them while at the same time I don't want to get in over my head or find out I don't have certain tool. Are these do-it yourself

pharm_rodeo
02-17-2009, 10:24 PM
Only you would know whether you have the ability to do your own work. We don't know what tools you have or your experience level. You want to use your emergency jack to do work? I hope you're kidding. Have you ever done a brake job? Doing a brake job on a Rodeo isn't hard but it's time consuming b/c you have to repack bearings and etc.

What do you want to do with your front axle? Again, you want use your emergency jack and not a floor jack with heavy duty stands?

Truck specs would be nice.

No offense but it doesn't seem like you have tools for the job. A proper brake job is critical.

bighops2000
02-18-2009, 06:12 PM
i apologize for the vague post. this is a 97 honda passport 4wd. The reason for posting this was because I was talked out of replacing shocks since you need some tool to compress the shock. I was making sure that these jobs don't require something similar after I've already dismantled the vehicle.

fourwd1
02-18-2009, 08:34 PM
Normally I would reccommend a factory manual over a Chilton or Haynes, but Isuzu factory manuals suck. I wasted $100 on one for my 2000 Trooper :frown:

Pads are easy, so are rear disks, front disks are more work.
Don't see why you'd need a compressor for shocks, coil springs yes.

DO get a real jack and jack stands, Pep Boys has sets for cheap.

Florsuzo
02-18-2009, 11:30 PM
i apologize for the vague post. this is a 97 honda passport 4wd. The reason for posting this was because I was talked out of replacing shocks since you need some tool to compress the shock. I was making sure that these jobs don't require something similar after I've already dismantled the vehicle.

Removing and replacing the shocks on the Passport requires nothing more than a 14mm and a 17mm socket and about 5-10 minutes per shock. There is nothing to compress other than compressing the shock slightly to get it out of the upper mounting holes (which can easily be done with your hands by pulling or pressing down). Someone has shocks confused with MacPherson struts (with coils integrated). Those require spring compressors to remove from the vehicle.

Ramblin Fever
02-19-2009, 02:16 AM
BigHops....I agree...do NOT attempt any kind of work on your truck with the supplied ER jack....in fact, I tossed mine out years ago. I carry around a jack, but one much more suitable to the weight of the Rodeo.

Get jack stands or a floor jack. Easiest, IMHO, is to have both available...I generally lift the front of the truck, then place the jack stands underneith....specially while I did the front rotors/brakes/wheel bearings and ball joints.

On your 97 Rodeo...yes, if everything's original, I would definitely look into repacking your wheel bearings, check your ball joints (4), and all your rotors. The floor stands will keep the truck stabilized so you don't have to worry about the floor jack collapsing on you.

That said......I still have my rear original rotors to change out as well.

Do NOT attempt any of this with the ER factory jack, as with some of this work, you're going to be banging around on the truck/axle and the truck IS going to shift.

bighops2000
02-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I ended up doing them. very easy! Glad I did. I did use a floor jack. I wasnt sure if I could borrow one before I needed to get the brakes done. If anyones on the bubble about not doing brakes IT IS REALLY EASY.

Add your comment to this topic!