Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Roof rack gaskets

95 454
02-17-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm getting ready to have the dealer paint the roof of my 95 Suburban. They have to remove the roof rack to do it, but they said that they don't have the gaskets/seals for the rack anymore. Does anyone know where I can get these?

jdmccright
02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Try eBay or www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com).

An alternative would be to just buy flat rubber sheet and cut new ones using the old ones as a pattern.

A second alternative would be to leave the rack off after painting and fill the holes using plastic expanding screws (for holding interior panels) and some silicone sealant. Did this with my Jimmy to help reduce drag and wind noise, but keeps the holes in case you want to reinstall them to haul special loads. Hope this helps!

Cusser
02-18-2009, 09:26 PM
If you can't find the gaskets, just make some out of rubber sheet or from rubber washers from Ace Hardware. Besides, no one is tall enough to ever see it. I just found out recently that my '94 Sub, 2 WD, has considerable surface rust on its top, likely because the crappy white paint just flaked off in sheets. I've had it since 2000 and never knew it, never had to use the roof rack as everything always fit inside. So it's rusty on top, but no one knows.

j cAT
02-19-2009, 10:02 AM
I'm getting ready to have the dealer paint the roof of my 95 Suburban. They have to remove the roof rack to do it, but they said that they don't have the gaskets/seals for the rack anymore. Does anyone know where I can get these?

use dow corning 745 sealant..this is a sealing compound used in the glass industry to seal metal glass in a exterior enviroment...this product will flex up to 50% and has surperior holding power...also this product does does not react with bare metals causing corrosion...

this with the use of rubber roofing will out last the life of the vehicle many years...

Add your comment to this topic!