Page updated on 08-20-2018

Outer cv joint removal dilemma

merdoc
02-17-2009, 04:50 PM
hi - i have a 2000 si 1600 lantra/elantra.

i need to replace the outer cv boot.

most (but not all) of the info suggests that this must be done by removing the inner cv joint as the outer does not 'spit' from the shaft.

i have the shaft disconnected from the hub assembly & it looks like it could be 'wacked off' by a soft mallet in the normal way.

can anyone please assist.

cheers.

jsinton
02-17-2009, 09:13 PM
Why don't you just replace the whole axle? Usually when the axle is that old that the boots go bad, it means the bearings are right behind. I frankly never bothered to try to take the bearings off, it's a mess of a job.

You can also get a quick boot, which is a split boot you fill up with grease and slap on the axle without removing anything.

merdoc
02-18-2009, 10:15 AM
jsington - in the uk a s/hand shaft is 40.

on most of the cars i've repaired you just knocked the cv off & fitted a uni boot at 5.

anyway i fitted a 'stretch' type boot (10) yesterday with no problems - the kit comes complete with fitting cone, boot, grease & metal clips.

i used a 'split' boot as a trial on a customer's car years ago - no success - lasted about a month, so i give them a miss.

btw if it hadn't been the wife's car i would have given it a wack just to see.

jsinton
02-18-2009, 03:59 PM
Ok, I guess you know more about it than I do. Around here we pay $60 for a whole new axle. Let me know what happens for future reference.

Add your comment to this topic!