Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

oil leak??????

freakyfire05
02-17-2009, 03:09 PM
I have a 91 accord that leaks massive amounts of oil but only when it is running at normal temp????? what is going on when it is off it doesn't leak. when it is warming up it doesn't leak I'm confused:eek7:

KManiac
02-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Where is the oil leaking from?? Usually an oil leak from a running engine would come from an unproperly sealed oil filter, a leaking oil pump, leaking crankshaft seals (either front or rear) or a plugged PCV valve, which causes high internal crankcase pressures that force gases and oil out every weak seal or gasket.

freakyfire05
02-18-2009, 01:33 AM
It's not the oil filter, pcv valve, or plug for sure haven't really checked much farther than that. The fact that it only leaks when it's warm makes me think it's the pump am i wrong ?

kris
02-18-2009, 09:15 PM
It's not the oil filter, pcv valve, or plug for sure haven't really checked much farther than that. The fact that it only leaks when it's warm makes me think it's the pump am i wrong ?

Well, it could be leaking from the pump. But with the engine running the pump is pumping oil. What area is it leaking from?

freakyfire05
02-20-2009, 01:24 PM
There's a belt that runs vertical on the drivers side of the engine next to the oil pan it appears to be leaking from some where around there definetly above where the oil filter sits if that makes any sense

mpumas
02-21-2009, 12:15 AM
There is a weep hole at the bottom of the timing belt cover. If it is leaking from there, it is probably the oil pump. If you decide to change the pump, this is a good time to change the timing belt and water pump unless it was done within the last 50k miles.

freakyfire05
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
That seems viable. would it leak ALOT of oil very quickly if this were the case

mpumas
02-21-2009, 11:55 AM
I'm now having problems trying to figure out where it is leaking. In one post you say it is on the drivers side near the engine belts, on the other you mention above the oil filter. If it is above the oil filter, it may be coming from the oil pressuse sensor. In either case, it could leak alot of oil when the engine is running because it is under pressure. You got to crawl under the car and pin point the location. Spray down the area with degreaser and water to clean things up then look.

freakyfire05
02-21-2009, 03:22 PM
i'm not sure why your confused the oil filter is right next the belts

FrankVtec88
02-21-2009, 07:58 PM
Belt faces to drivers side, oil filter is near belt on intake side (rear side of engine).

freakyfire05
02-22-2009, 12:39 AM
My apologies the leak is on the drivers side of the engine. i simply was trying to state how high up the leak was. in retrospect it doesn't very helpful

kris
02-22-2009, 12:44 AM
Hard to say really without getting in there. You have a couple of seals, as well as some plugs on that side that could be bad or working loose. It might entail a day of pulling things off to look. Just remember oil likes gravity. Just because it comes out on the lower end, does not mean it can't be leaking from the top end.

Add your comment to this topic!