Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

help looking for quick release steering wheels

chato de shamrock
02-17-2009, 04:56 AM
Hi guys. I need some help finding a good quick release steering wheel that's no higher then a $400 price range, but i'd be willing to go as high as $450 AFTER tax/S&H are included.

I just got my first S14 Zenki this past weekend and after owning a somewhat fixed up Integra and getting jacked I'm a bit on the paranoid side. One of the things i want to do to the car to minimize any chances of someone driving away with it is adding a quick release steering wheel. However, I haven't a clue where to start or what questions i should ask myself when looking for the right steering wheel to buy. I've searched online and there are tons of steering wheels. It's like I dont know where to begin.

* Are all aftermarket race wheels compatible with quick release hub kits or is there a certain type of steering wheel i should look for?

* Speaking strictly about quick release steering wheels, are there only some steering wheels that allow for you to add the horn or do they all offer that feature, or is this a custom job we need to do on our own?

* Why do I need a hub lock? Is it really a worthwhile investment? Isn't the car safe enough leaving it without the steering wheel, or how greater do the chances of not having your car stolen become if a hub lock is on as opposed to leaving the hub exposed?

* I've noticed NRG quick release hubs seems to be pretty popular and inexpensive when compared to other quick release kits, but I havent a clue just how good NRG products are. Is it a very well made product? Is the low price a clue to the quality of the product? I certainly dont want the wheel to pop off while im driving.

* I'd like to be able to connect the horn back onto the aftermarket steering wheel. An all black or CF wheel would be nice, perhaps leather made since it lasts longer then swede. Something basic like this: http://www.weaksauceparts.com/store/product.php?productid=18792&cat=1929&page=1 Based on these specs and for my budget of $400 ($450 max. not a penny more) what's the best/safest quick release kit and wheel YOU guys can suggest/recommend?

* Are there any websites/shops that have reasonable prices and good service that you guys might like to suggest/recommend?

I'm not sure what other questions I should ask :frown:

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread and leaving your feed back.

nissanfanatic
03-14-2009, 08:31 PM
For end all security, the Works quick release seems to be the best. Although I spent $579 for the Works hub, Works quick release, and a Sparco 383 steering wheel. You can buy a locking cover for the quick release which requires a key to remove. This supposedly makes it nearly impossible for a thief to steal the car, as some use vice grips to steer with.

You can check them out yourself at http://www.frsport.com. For a very cheap route, I would do a Personal wheel with the NRG quick release. I haven't heard of any problems with the NRG units, but I wanted something that was known to be good as I do a lot of hard driving. I haven't had a chance to check out the works QR yet, as I am on deployment still.

Skyhighpsi
06-13-2009, 01:01 PM
I would think getting a viper alarm would be better security than a quick release since a theif could easily bring his own steering wheel in

Add your comment to this topic!