Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

question?

fullbloodchop01
03-25-2003, 12:07 PM
i have been having trouble with the tamiya acrylic on top of darker colors.i know that light clolors dont come thru good on darker colors, but there must be a way to fix this, i painted one of my seats matt black, and want to highlight it with flat aluminum, but i want to kow if there is any special things i can do to the paint for it to go on nice and no have any black able to be seen thru it

DSM-Mark
03-25-2003, 12:16 PM
Multiple coats?? I don't think you'll really have a problem with Flat Aluminum. It's quite opaque.

daggerlee
03-25-2003, 12:40 PM
Flat Aluminum covers quite well on anything (as do most silvers)

fullbloodchop01
03-25-2003, 12:51 PM
well what about other colors? not necisarily flat aluminum now

DSM-Mark
03-25-2003, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by fullbloodchop01
well what about other colors? not necisarily flat aluminum now

You could use a colour such as flat aluminum as an intermediary colour between the dark base and the light colour. I've done this to paint front toe hooks red when they are molded in black. Just paint the part silver or another light, covering colour, and then paint the difficult colour over that.

Guiddy
03-25-2003, 12:56 PM
It's one of those things you have to think about when you paint a part multiple colours!
Always spray or paint the lighter colour first, then the darker! It's the only way to get great results!
Silver is metalic particles suspended in a carrier lacqure, coverage is always going to be patchy!

njh
03-25-2003, 01:43 PM
I personally would paint over the black several times if the part have to be of lighter colour.

Vric
03-25-2003, 01:44 PM
XF-16 cover well, but I agree 2 coat is better

JDM Evo7
03-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Or use a neutral grey then put silver on top of that.

daggerlee
03-25-2003, 04:43 PM
This topic should also server as a reminder to everyone why it's great to prime, especially using white primer...not only do you get better paint adhesion, but you never have to worry about color coverage! :)

flyonthewall
03-26-2003, 01:03 AM
I never worry about aluminium or silver colours coz they cover quite well. Alot of chassis components usually require to be painted flat or semi-gloss black with touches of aluminium. With these i just go ahead and paint the whole thing black first, if its mostly aluminium then i'll paint that first.

Infact you can acheive some interesting shading effects by painting silver coulours over a black base.

Add your comment to this topic!