Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

1999 5.9 Jeep Limited Starts then shuts right off

nomiezvr4
02-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Hey guys I've got a 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9 Limited. Its got 100k miles. The starts up perfectly fine every single time but then immediately shuts off after a few(2-3) seconds. It will start every time but then immediately shut off whether I give it gas or not, it makes no difference.

Ive swapped the fuel pump relay with no success. The car is throwing no CEL either. I'm thinking about swapping the ASD(auto shutdown relay) as the failure of the automatic shutdown relay is often shown as inexplicable stalling or refusal to start. Has anyone else had a similar problem or knows whats going on? Thanks

dksob81
02-16-2009, 09:12 PM
is the security system active, sounds like a typical anti-theft problem, try locking the doors with the power door locks then unlocking the door with the keyless entry system. or using the key in the door. Oh, and you said 99 5.9Limited you meant 98 5.9Limited.

nomiezvr4
02-17-2009, 09:06 AM
I'll try it and report back today...thanks!

nomiezvr4
02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
Alright, tried what you said and a few other ways...nothing worked.

Also wanted to mention that even when the car starts...the gauges don't work with the exception of the fuel gauge which slightly moves.

I swapped the ASD relay with no success. Then I jumped it with the same results.

I'm going to try to disconnect and re-connect the battery and see if that does anything. Any other suggestions?

Robertmchenry
02-17-2009, 02:18 PM
I think dksobd1 has it somewhat correct. From what I'm told if you start the car with a key that does not have the chip embedded in the key the car will run for a second or two & then quit.

Let us know the outcome.....:popcorn:

Add your comment to this topic!