Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Over Revving ? Idle Air Control Valve

mizz80
02-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Hi all, new to this and hoping someone can help ??

Intermittent problems with 1996 Renault Megane 1.6 16v RXE :confused:, idling @ 2000, then behaves erratic dropping and then going high again.
Removed Idle Air control valve and cleaned with Carb cleaner, this appeared to have worked- travelled aprox 37 miles-once off motorway and slowing down cars Revs became erratic jumping between, 20 – 30 again.
Decided to take to Garage today – they fitted replacement Idle Air control valve – immediate High Revs ?:banghead: Ran diagnostic and nothing came up?
Any ideas what else could be wrong ? Garage didn’t quite know what was wrong so will be continuing investigations tomorrow (charging hourly labour rate...). Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Cars only got 65k on clock. Thanks

MGcomm
12-16-2009, 09:42 AM
Hi Did you get a resolution to this problem? I have exactly the same symptoms!

mizz80
12-16-2009, 12:19 PM
Hi Did you get a resolution to this problem? I have exactly the same symptoms!

yeah, it was the air control valve (TDC)- you can buy them off Ebay (£20) and fit yourself. Or get one from breakers for about £10. Ended up getting rid of car anyway. But the over revving problem was sorted

hope this helps

BucherBarnes
01-14-2010, 04:39 AM
Hi

Was it the air control valve or the TDC sensor?

I know someone who's has an over rev problem on her 98 1.4 megane, after looking around forums the Idle control valve seems to be the answer, apart from this thread.

I see that changing/cleaning the TDC sensor has cured starting problems for others, but this is the first time I've seen it relating to over revving.

I'm having a look at it tonight, not sure if I should buy an Idle control valve and TDC sensor before I get there orr not.

I'll post again to let you know how I get on.

Cheers,
Sam

BucherBarnes
01-14-2010, 05:30 AM
- Its actually a 1.6 rt sport, my mistake! So I guess its a 16valve as well

Add your comment to this topic!