Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Getting rid of a car

zudo
02-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I have a '99 Grand Caravan that got hit in the side...

It can be repaired, but the body will still look like crap, and to repair the body as well would be a bit excessive (price-wise).

So right now I am debating whether to repair it, and leave the body, or get rid of it, get my bro's car running and just use that.

So what's the best way to get rid of a car? What's easiest? What will give the most return?

Thanks in advance.

'97ventureowner
02-16-2009, 01:12 AM
Some of the ways I know to get rid of a vehicle is to sell it in a classified ad for parts , ( either local ads or Craigslist,) donate it to a local charity that accepts vehicle donations, and selling it to a scrap dealer for metal value.
The option that could get you the most return would be to sell it for parts, if there are enough decent salvageable parts left. Donating it might net you a tax deduction if you itemize on your return, and selling it to a scrap dealer would net some money ( in our area the price has gone up for scrap vehicles to at least $250 <or more depending on the vehicle>and they come and tow it for free as well.) That will also depend on scrap metal prices staying high. Check your local classified ads to see who's offering what for scrap/junk vehicles and call around for quotes.

zudo
02-18-2009, 01:55 AM
Thanks!

easymuny
03-04-2009, 09:59 AM
Your insurance company probably has a salvage price on your van. Find out what the actual value is and run an ad in your classifieds.

You can probably call your local bank and get the actual value of a salvaged automobile.

Hope this helps.

thecarmann
03-15-2009, 03:29 AM
have you considered putting it up on net auction sites? you never know who out there might find a use for it, as bad a condition as it may be in. local ads and classifieds are certainly useful, but they're exactly that - local. best of luck! http://www.photopile.info/img/c/V.gif

bryce drew
03-16-2009, 02:32 AM
you get some of the parts that can still be used and sell it to a automotive shope

Add your comment to this topic!