Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Looking for an airbrush

Scefen
02-15-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi all,

I'm progressing slow but steady on my first ever build, the Tamiya Enzo.
I'm quite satisfied with it so far, and I really enjoy this new hobby! (Was thinking of posting some pictures, but I don't know how interested people would be in a beginners model)

Therefore, I thought I'd raise my game a bit for the next model by starting to use an airbrush.
I was looking around and stumbled onto this one from Tamiya:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tam/tam74520.htm

It's not that expensive, but it might be good anyways, so I was thinking if there was anyone around here that can tell if it'll be worth the money? Remember, I'm not after that ultra professional stuff, I just want to be able to paint surfaces without having to use a regular brush.

Cheers,
Fred

klutz_100
02-15-2009, 05:23 AM
there are much worse ways to start than with this set :)

I know several people who have Tamiya airbrushed and they are very happy with them.

Later, if you want to, you can "upgrade" to another airbrush such as an Iwata CR or HP series.

There have also been several threads here recently discussing various set-ups which the search feature should be able to dig up for you.

Scefen
02-15-2009, 05:44 AM
there are much worse ways to start than with this set :)

I know several people who have Tamiya airbrushed and they are very happy with them.

Later, if you want to, you can "upgrade" to another airbrush such as an Iwata CR or HP series.

There have also been several threads here recently discussing various set-ups which the search feature should be able to dig up for you.

Many thanks :smile:

stevenoble
02-15-2009, 10:49 AM
I use two Tamiya airbrushes for most of my painting and they do a fantastic job. I'm not sure how good the compressor is in that set though and to airbrush consistently a good air source is essential. I would say it's worth a look though, as it seems a reasonable enough price.

Tibi Keke
02-15-2009, 11:13 AM
If you did not see this video and you want to have an idee how this airbrush works, take a look here :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLfJPyGZO9A&feature=channel_page
Regards,

MPWR
02-16-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm progressing slow but steady on my first ever build, the Tamiya Enzo.

If this is your first ever build, it would be hard to choose a less suitable kit that Tamiya's Enzo. It should absolutely be reserved for after you've already built a few simpler kits. It is extraordinarily complicated, has perhaps the most difficult to paint body of any plastic 1/24 kit (because of the many different body parts), and is quite expensive.

It would be a bit like learning to drive for the very first time on an F1 car. Sure, with excellent instruction you might just be able to make it around the track without stalling, spinning, or destroying the car. But you would learn better, have more fun, and get a faster lap time in a 'normal' car. Once you really knew how to drive, you would enjoy and appreciate the F1 car vastly more.

I would definitely recommend putting the Enzo aside now, and building a couple of simpler kits first before going back to it. You will learn and enjoy the hobby much more this way.

(Was thinking of posting some pictures, but I don't know how interested people would be in a beginners model)
Post your builds! This forum is certainly not just for experienced builders!! Of course people are interested in seeing your work.

AustinMartin
02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
I'm happy that this thread came up, as I am about to invest in an Iwata CR. Are they any good?

Some_Kid
02-16-2009, 02:00 PM
I'm happy that this thread came up, as I am about to invest in an Iwata CR. Are they any good?

I just got one for Christmas. They are great and easy to clean. Best hobby tool I ever bought.

taliesen
02-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Highly recommend the Iwatas - I have a CR, an HP-SBS, and a Revolution SAR. They're all excellent, but I think in the long run the CR is the most flexible and easiest to clean.

AustinMartin
02-16-2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys, have some extra Christmas money, and am getting a CR.

willster127
02-16-2009, 10:11 PM
It is my understanding that the Tamiya airbrushes are actually manufactured by Iwata so they must be good! I'm no expert but a guy from outr club certainly is and he uses one or two of the Tamiyas and an Iwata, he has multiple brushes for different jobs and loves them all so you have probably picked a good starting point!!

I'm just a rookie but I have the Iwata HP-C plus, I always used on of the badger, single action siphon jobbies which was actually pretty good but I upgraded about two years ago and I absolutely love the Iwata, i don't know how I ever lived without it.

In terms of air supply, I went a different route and purchased a Nitrogen tank and regulator. It ended up costing me about $250 US, obviously it is silent, completely dry as nitrogen is a dry gas, is absolutely maintenance free as no moving parts and the one tank still has over 1000 psi in it after two years!!!!! Admittedly I don't use it that much but still!!!!! Anyway, I priced up a refill and it is $90 US which every five years can't be too bad. I would certainly recommend this method of propulsion to anyone with an airbrush.

wouter1981
02-17-2009, 07:42 AM
Those airbrushes are verry good. Not "the best" but for a beginner they are more than suited enough and even experienced builders are well pleased with them.
But I'm more worried about the compressor. I'm not sure if this type of compressor really gives a smooth and steady pressure like the add says. And even the best airbrushes aren't wort a thing if the compressor isn't good. Perhaps somebody on the website has this particular compressor and can give you more info.
And I have to Agree with MPWR. The tamiya enzo isn't a beginners kit. It's a brilliant kit, but complicated. I would suggest you try one of tamiya's porsches (the GT2 and GT3 are easy, uncomplicated and verry commonly found)

Porsnatic
02-17-2009, 08:52 AM
What about the Gunze(GSI Creos) ones?...What about the connectors to use them with our compressors?

jano11
02-17-2009, 09:35 AM
In terms of air supply, I went a different route and purchased a Nitrogen tank and regulator. It ended up costing me about $250 US, obviously it is silent, completely dry as nitrogen is a dry gas, is absolutely maintenance free as no moving parts and the one tank still has over 1000 psi in it after two years!!!!! Admittedly I don't use it that much but still!!!!! Anyway, I priced up a refill and it is $90 US which every five years can't be too bad. I would certainly recommend this method of propulsion to anyone with an airbrush.

I'm thinking about doing this too.
Could you tell me how big (volume) of a N2 bottle you are using?

Add your comment to this topic!