Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

2002 SE Automatic drives fine but no reverse

rallygt
02-14-2009, 05:49 PM
I have a 2002 Dodge Neon SE with automatic tranny. It's a daily driver and one day when putting it in reverse, it would only creep VERY VERY slowly in reverse but only on level ground. Can rev all I want but it pretty much only creeps at idle. Every other gear is fine. Checked fluid, ATF+4 is full and did a filter/fluid change 3 mos ago.

Any ideas as to what the problem could be and if I am better off replacing the tranny with one from a junkyard. Or could it be a fix under $1000?

Any help is appreciated!

skeigs
02-20-2009, 12:54 AM
I posted earilier with the similar problem. Found that the reverse link in the shifter (apparently there's a metal slide pice that locks the clutch band in gear) had broken and the transmission has to be pulled out to do it. I haven't done the work yet because the whole car died on me 2 days ago when I was driving, just all of a sudden the car shut down. The fan and radio was still going but it won't start now. Was told this may be a broken timing belt but not too sure. Got a reputable back yard mechanic coming by tomorrow. Hope this gives you some insight as to what your problem may be. My Neon has just over 240,000 kms on it now and seems that everything is starting to go at once. :uhoh:
Hopefully with you it's just the reverse link in the shifter! Good Luck :)

Add your comment to this topic!