overheating, no heat

POPPABUSA
02-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Overheating, no heat. Replaced thermostat. Didn't help. I replaced the water pump 1 year ago. What else should I look into? Any ideas?

brcidd
02-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Coolant level low is number one cause of no heat...but you need to know where it is going if it is low.. Also a radiator pressure check will help- always be leery of coolant that gets away with no visible signs of leakage- could be head or intake manifold gaskets....

POPPABUSA
02-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Coolant level is fine-dosen't seem to be going anywhere...

MT-2500
02-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Coolant level is fine-dosen't seem to be going anywhere...

Need a lot more info.
Year and engine and mileage?
When and how and how much is it overheating?
Does the heat work untill it overheats?
How are you checking overheat tempt?
Does coolant system boil over?
Any engine miss?

POPPABUSA
02-15-2009, 01:53 PM
95 2.2L 155000 miles. It starts overheating immediately after it warms up. There is no heat at any time . The temp guage inside states that it is overheating. When it is shut off, the sound of coolant bubbling can be heard.

MT-2500
02-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Has it got a fast warm up?
How long after 190 degrees does it take to get to 230 or overheat?
Things to check for.
Good coolant circulation.
Rad full of coolant.
Is the heater core getting coolant flow.
Make sure you did not get a bad stat.
Rad stopped up.
Is coolant system air locked?
Check for anything blocking rad air flow.
Fan blades working good.

Run a chemical block check for exhaust gas in coolant system.
Any coolant getting into the cylinders?
Any engine miss?

j cAT
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Overheating, no heat. Replaced thermostat. Didn't help. I replaced the water pump 1 year ago. What else should I look into? Any ideas?

remove radiator cap..then run engine continue to run until engine gets hot ...does the coolant flow inside the radiator....does the coolant have bubbles ? if a lot of bubbles could be head gasket etc...

POPPABUSA
02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
So I was messing with the truck today, and I took the radiator cap off to check the coolant. It was very low. I filled it, let it warm up. No leaks. The engine ran very poorly, missing. And of course it continued to overheat. Is this an indicator of a bad intake gasket or head gasket? Thank you for everyone's input!

MT-2500
02-18-2009, 10:22 AM
As in post no 6 we need some answers.
Proper testing will tell you
Good luck

2percent
02-18-2009, 01:03 PM
So I was messing with the truck today, and I took the radiator cap off to check the coolant. It was very low. I filled it, let it warm up. No leaks. The engine ran very poorly, missing. And of course it continued to overheat. Is this an indicator of a bad intake gasket or head gasket? Thank you for everyone's input!
Leaks are not always seeable to naked eye. Mine never leaked a drop. It burnt it thru the exhaust. Always test first never jump into anything unless you have a lot of money to waste. And if you do then just get a shop to do it.

Rick Norwood
02-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Try this thread. Read the section about the radiator pressure tester.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=729213

If this truck is overheating, and there is no heat, and you have changed the T-Stat and topped off the coolant. It sounds like a Plugged up system.

mbird22
02-23-2009, 01:23 PM
I'll bet anything its the heater core. Do you see any coolant on your passenger floor?

Jason0885
08-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Ya, something is leaking and causing the coolant to get too low to maintain a low temperature.. If the floor is wet (under your mats ) then it is the heater core your looking at about a 50.00 part.. If the floor is dry then you may want to check your hoses coming out of the radiator to the heater core and back to the radiator. Could possibly be a hole in the radiator but its not very likely.. I would check the floorboard 1st and then check the tubes.. Also check you coolant frequlently (after your engine has cooled down).. Basically the reason why you not getting heat is as the engine gets hot it warms the coolant in the radiator and it flows to the heatercore. When you turn your heat on air is pushed through the heatercore to make it hot. and then it cycles back into the radiator.. Mine had a real big hold in it and I couldn't hold coolant for more than 10 - 15 miles.. So I bypassed it ( I had to drive from KY to South Carolina the next day) I plan on putting a new one in Sunday.

frehol
08-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Is the coolant flowing through the rad?
Can you feel the rad hoses get hot?
Tried to remove t-stat and test if flow is beter or if it still overheat then?
Tried to flush the system?
/F

ken_man_1
08-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Ya, something is leaking and causing the coolant to get too low to maintain a low temperature.. If the floor is wet (under your mats ) then it is the heater core your looking at about a 50.00 part.. If the floor is dry then you may want to check your hoses coming out of the radiator to the heater core and back to the radiator. Could possibly be a hole in the radiator but its not very likely.. I would check the floorboard 1st and then check the tubes.. Also check you coolant frequlently (after your engine has cooled down).. Basically the reason why you not getting heat is as the engine gets hot it warms the coolant in the radiator and it flows to the heatercore. When you turn your heat on air is pushed through the heatercore to make it hot. and then it cycles back into the radiator.. Mine had a real big hold in it and I couldn't hold coolant for more than 10 - 15 miles.. So I bypassed it ( I had to drive from KY to South Carolina the next day) I plan on putting a new one in Sunday.

Is the coolant flowing through the rad?
Can you feel the rad hoses get hot?
Tried to remove t-stat and test if flow is beter or if it still overheat then?
Tried to flush the system?
/F

This post is 6 months old. That is nice of you to try to help, but I'm sure he's not still trying.

POPPABUSA
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
In case anyone else runs into this issue, my problem ended up being the head gasket. Replaced it, and everything works perfect. Thanks for everyone's help!

Add your comment to this topic!