2002 taurus starting problem

cam 540
02-13-2009, 11:23 AM
I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with 3.0 DOHC and I am having a starting problem. I go to start the car and it does nothing, not even turn over but all the lights on the dash come on like normal but wont turn over but if i pull the key out and push the remote start button the car starts fine. It's not doing it all the time just about every other time i go to start it. I dont think its the remote start because from experance if the remote start goes bad it will still turn over with the key but wont start. Please any ideas will help? I was thinking it might be the ignition switch or the tumbler going bad. What do you think?

shorod
02-13-2009, 01:34 PM
I doubt it's a tumbler issue since you can turn the key to the Run position and get the lamp test to activate. When you try to start the car with the key, what does the "Security" or "Theft" light do? Your remote start anti-theft bypass kit may be interfereing with the PATS/SecuriLock system.

If you have access to a scan tool that can access the anti-theft system, you can see if there are any codes in the anti-theft system that might indicate a reason for a no-start.

I'm not sure on the 2002 if the anti-theft system would prevent the starter from engaging or just shut off the fuel injectors. I'll have to try to remember to pull up the service manual for the starting system tonight....

-Rod

cam 540
02-13-2009, 02:18 PM
A friend of mine has a code scanner I'll have to get it and check to see if anything shows?

cam 540
02-13-2009, 02:59 PM
I have not checked with scanner yet but i went to go somewere after reading your email and i did notice that when i try starting with the key the anti theft light flashes fast and the car wont start then i start with the remote start and it must give the anti theft an ok signal and the car starts the i can turn the key to the on position and then everything is ok. This is an aftermarket remote start (Prestige) brand. How do you think i can fix this problem?

shorod
02-13-2009, 04:41 PM
I suspect if you can find a scan tool that can access the anti-theft system (most commercial scan tools cannot) you'll find a code indicating that two keys are being seen by the PATS/SecuriLock system at the same time. The system will lock out an engine start if it is getting more than one signal. Sounds like the temporary fix would be to remove the PATS/Securilock bypass kit for the remote start.

-Rod

shorod
02-13-2009, 07:35 PM
Yep, the ground of the starter relay is provided by the PCM, which is programmed to and networked with the PATS/SecuriLock module.

Also, the PATS/SecuriLock codes are body codes (B prefix) and will not be able to be accessed by most commercial scan tools. I don't see any codes specific to "seeing" more than one transponder key during a start attempt though.

-Rod

cam 540
02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
The scan tool my friend has doesn't access the anti theft. For some reason the ignition tumbler is now jammed it only turns back but not forward seem odd for the tumbler to jam up like this with only 50,000 miles on the car. I wonder if it is part of the start problem? Does the tumbler read the key and if it does then is that why the anti theft was blinking when I would turn the key and the key in the black box of the remote start was the only way the anti theft would give an ok signal to start?

CrapaTaurusWrecks
02-14-2009, 08:05 AM
I had a Taurus with an aftermaket alarm on it that had a simular problem as far as the not turning over part. I discovered that I had to press the unlock button on the keyless entry fob before attempting to start the car or nothing would happen. Even if I never locked the doors the unlock button had to be pressed.
On a 96 wagon I used to own the car the car wouldn't turn over on occasion, I must have had a worn sensor because if I shifted into gear then back to park the car would start. This doesn't explain your tumbler problem though. Just thinking out loud.

Good luck,

TaurusGLenn

shorod
02-14-2009, 09:58 PM
The tumblers have nothing to do with the PATS/SecuriLock. The PATS system uses an RF antenna ring around the key cylinder switch.

Your steering wheel may be bound against a steering lock. Try rotating the steering wheel in either direction while attempting to turn the key to run/start.

-Rod

cam 540
02-15-2009, 10:47 AM
The tumble is definitely jammed i had gotten it to turn forward one time and it felt like everything was bound up. The steering wheel was straight and was able to move back and forth with ease ans wasn't locking the ignition. I do know to replace the tumbler the ignition needs to be in the run position to take it out. Which maybe another problem I'm going to have. I'll need to have the new keys programmed also.

cam 540
02-15-2009, 05:04 PM
The tumbler started working fine, I found the 2 fuses under the dash for the aftermarket remote start and pulled then out and the car starts fine with the keys. For some reason the remote start was telling the car to only start with it. I think I need to take out the remote start or take it to someone the works on them all the time but at least the car starts with the keys. I have know idea why the tumbler was jammed but I do know the steering wasn't locked. Thanks for your help.

brunnj
02-22-2009, 02:27 PM
I doubt it's a tumbler issue since you can turn the key to the Run position and get the lamp test to activate. When you try to start the car with the key, what does the "Security" or "Theft" light do? Your remote start anti-theft bypass kit may be interfereing with the PATS/SecuriLock system.

If you have access to a scan tool that can access the anti-theft system, you can see if there are any codes in the anti-theft system that might indicate a reason for a no-start.

I'm not sure on the 2002 if the anti-theft system would prevent the starter from engaging or just shut off the fuel injectors. I'll have to try to remember to pull up the service manual for the starting system tonight....

-Rod

The antitheft system on the 2002 prevents the starter from engaging. I tried a new key I had not programmed yet in my 2002 and it did exactly what he is describing. It sounds as if the the chip in the key may be going bad or whatever reads the chip is starting to malfunction.

Add your comment to this topic!