Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Cold Weather Clutch Problem

leroge
02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
I recently posted a thread about my '93 Wrangler ( 65K miles ) losing clutch fuild. Received some good Automotiveforums advice that all focused on drop'n the trans to get to the clutch slave that resides within the trans housing - BIG JOB FOR SURE. In '94, Jeep located the slave eternal to the trans housing. Too bad for me!

However, with the warm weather of the last few days, NO MORE CLUTCH PROBLEM! Seems I develop a 'soft' clutch pedal only in severe cold weather. When this happens, I open the master and pour in an ounce or so of DOT 3 and I regain good clutch pedal. I can't say for sure I have lost any DOT 3 since when the cap and its rubber 'bowl' are re-applied, a good portion of what I poured in flushes out since the 'bowl' evacuates the top portion of master into which I poured in the DOT 3. I drive a while and back comes the soft clutch pedal! Again, this appears to happen ONLY in very cold weather ( sub zero on up to freesing ). I remember this happening last winter and the problem went away during last summer!

Unless DOT 3 is leaking in the trans housing, I see no other leaking - either along the line or on the interior firewall. Could this be caused by air or moisture in the clutch fluid line? As a test during the past few days of warmer ( above freezing ) weather, I depressed the clutch pedal with a 2 x 4 and held it in place for several days - I RETAIN A 'GOOD' CLUTCH PEDAL. No 'loss' of pedal or DOT 3!

Any ideas? My next approach is to bleed the line and see what happens.

Please help!

Add your comment to this topic!