Need help changing alternator in 95 Monte Carlo 3.4L DOHC

keith1995monte
02-12-2009, 11:03 AM
I can't get the alternator out of a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo 3.4L DOHC. I have removed all related splash guards, the right front axle, wheel and strut along with many parts on the top side of the engine. It still won't fit through any openings. If the transaxle hub/coupling was removed it would fall out but this can't be removed without completely dismantling the transaxle. I have read about and spoke to several GM mechanics that said it has to come out the right fender area. It won't!!!! Even after removing all the parts I mentioned (and believe me I finagled the best I could). Keep in mind I have to be able to get a new one back in there without damaging it. I also have to repair a bad leaking power steering line directly between the alternator and firewall. Which I believe was the cause of the alternator failure. There appears to be no room to get to this line either!!! Will I have to tilt the enging to do either or both of these jobs? If so What's the procedure for doing that? HELP!!!!!!

rhandwor
02-14-2009, 03:56 PM
I haven't done this car that I can remember but sometimes if the car is on 4 jack stands. Put your floor jack with a 2x4 on it under the pan. Pull a bolt on a mount then raise the motor somewhat or maybe lower it slightly. I think your close but can't make it all the way.
I don't remember all body styles but some of these have 8 bolts holding the engine support in. If you loosen the front bolts and put a couple of jack stands under the back . Loosen the back bolts and check if this gives room needed. You will need a floor jack if the rear bolts are removed and it is sitting on the jack stand to push it up into place.

keith1995monte
02-14-2009, 04:42 PM
I finnaly got it out!!!! Actually you are very close to the solution I used to get to it. Solution: First you have to put two jack stands under the frame just behind the main cross member. Next you have to put a jack under the center of the main cross member. Next you have to remove the bolt from the steering column shaft U joint where it connects to the power steering assembly then slide the shaft and U joint coupling apart. Then you must remove the two rear engine chaste bolts. Next you slowly lower the jack under the main cross member and the engine & transaxle starts dropping/hinging downward. Lower the jack no more than a 1 1/2". This will provide the necessary clearance to remove and reinstall the alternator but will not cause any damage because of the engine pivoting. A certified GM mechanic told me this trick so you know it's OK. He was the only of four certified GM mechanics I spoke to that recommended this procedure and he had the only suggestion that worked.

Nick07
07-20-2009, 08:38 PM
I know sometimes cars can very greatly from one year to the next even if they're the same body style. For future referrence though and to others with the pain in the butt DOHC 3.4L motor in their monte's, I had the same problem minus the leaking power steering line. In my 96 my alternator went out too but all I did was take the passenger side tire off, got all the splash guards out of the way, and just popped the tie-rod end off. I disconnected the wires, unbolted it, and removed the belt (obviously) and with a lot of patience I finagled it out of the engine bay. Surprisingly enough, the new one slid right in and I had everything completely put back together in like 15 minutes (mind you the whole process took me a couple hours).

Add your comment to this topic!