Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

95 Transpport 3.8L CEL code acess

500hpgtx
02-12-2009, 05:20 AM
Hi Transport Guys,

I have the OBDI square connector on my 95 transport 3.9L.

I am not able to acess the codes for the CEL. I short the right 2 pins
that are left and right of each other on the right side of the plug with a
paperclip, with the ignition key at the on position, but not running.

Is this the coorect procedure, and do I have the correct pins shorted?
Thanks, KEV:shakehead

LMP
02-12-2009, 08:09 AM
I think the '95 plug has no connection in the B pinhole....
http://www.avigex.ca/xport/plug.jpg..but anyway, even the '94 cannot be flashed that way to the CEL icon....93 was last "flashable" year
It is often referred as OBD 1 1/2 ; it needs a scanner and although still an OBD1, I think it will throw OBD2 code numbers......
Compatible OBD1 hand scanners are not largely available...I have no reference to any; nicke66 on this forum has an adapter that connects the plug to a portable computer..and it gives codes and a lot of extra info; I have it but have not succeeded using it at this time, but I blame it on my very tired portable;. in fact, I have another cable from http://www.aldlcable.com/ but same problem with my computer....so no joy at this time. I still want to try it by carrying a tabletop computer to the garage...but have not managed to do it till now. (I have the serial tpe, not the USB type, so I'm limited to using old computers...better buy the USB type now).

Jrs3800
02-12-2009, 05:12 PM
All of the U body Vans for 1994-1995 with the 3800 have the same PCM as the C and H body 3800's... The C and H body 3800 got the 16 Pin OBD2 connector... The Vans retained the 12 Pin ALDL connector.. But the 94-95 Vans will list the OBD2 codes just like the C and H bodies..

You will have to have a Scan Tool that will read OBD1 to include the 94-95 3800 in the C,H and U body platforms..

And yes the last year for the diagnostic flash feature was 1993... The Diagnostic pin was no longer starting with the 94 Models..

500hpgtx
02-12-2009, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the update LMP and Jrs3800.

I'm spoiled with my grand prix. I have an auto tap and a scan gauge that
takes the place of a 2and 1/16 inch gauge. You get knock retard, timing,
injector pulse widths, etc., and can even clear dtc's on the fly.

Aggravating having a OBD1and 1/2.....have a good one guys.....KEV

nicke66
02-14-2009, 03:02 PM
... (I have the serial tpe, not the USB type, so I'm limited to using old computers...better buy the USB type now).

Hello,
I see no reason why the cable from www.aldlcable.com should not work. Most user friendly software to use is the one from www.pontiac-interface.de. This software runs in DOS and it only works with a serial interface.

My tip to read codes and log data is:
Get an old (ultra-) portable PC with serial port.
Buy the serial interface from www.aldlcabe.com. Anyone with skills in soldering can make there own cable. A lot of schematics are available at internet.
download the software from www.pontiac-interface.de (bootable CD image, then burn a CD)

LMP
02-14-2009, 04:40 PM
...I see no reason for it not to work either...provided my computer works normally, which is not the case as the serial port test failed (linking pins 2 and 3..should echo keyboard....it does not) ....so I have to refresh the computer, it is really screwed up....I just do not use it any more, too slow...a full format is required, but I have to save lots of goodies before that... about to do it soon...
I wil not buy a USB cable...but I suggest new users to do so if they have a modern computer...
I will echo results :smile:

Add your comment to this topic!