Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

transmission removal 2000 2.2l

janandkyle
02-11-2009, 11:59 PM
hey guys i have been working on my 2000 s10 with the 4cyl for almost a week now off and on and it has been one problem after another...i am currently replacing the clutch and ive managed to get the exhaust and crossmember down and am now down to unhooking the hydraulic line for the clutch release and the real problem....the engine to transmission mounting bolts which are seemingly impossible to get to... the bottom ones are easy enough but im not sure how the **** i am supposed to get to the rest?? anyone with any advise at all on this even pointing me to another post somewhere i have missed anything will be greatly appreciated......im sure theres some trick to it i just dont know what it is!
thanks
Kyle

MT-2500
02-12-2009, 08:29 AM
hey guys i have been working on my 2000 s10 with the 4cyl for almost a week now off and on and it has been one problem after another...i am currently replacing the clutch and ive managed to get the exhaust and crossmember down and am now down to unhooking the hydraulic line for the clutch release and the real problem....the engine to transmission mounting bolts which are seemingly impossible to get to... the bottom ones are easy enough but im not sure how the **** i am supposed to get to the rest?? anyone with any advise at all on this even pointing me to another post somewhere i have missed anything will be greatly appreciated......im sure theres some trick to it i just dont know what it is!
thanks
Kyle

Reach over the back of engine or remove cross member and lower back of transmission.
Long extension and a flex socket works good from rear.
In real bad cases the remove cab and front fender mount bolts and raise cab a little.
Clutch hyd line requires a special release tool.

Have you figured out to remove the gear shift lever yet?

Good Luck

janandkyle
02-12-2009, 10:41 AM
yeah i got the shifter out with no prob. i have everything disconnected from the tranny including all the unrelated lines and crap that were bolted to it....i will be working more on it tonite...maybe it will be a little better with a fresh look at it... it seems like if i work on it too long at one time i get frustrated and miss stuff lol!
thanks for the respomse...i will get some swivel sockets and go from there!
thanks again..
Kyle

MT-2500
02-12-2009, 11:26 AM
yeah i got the shifter out with no prob. i have everything disconnected from the tranny including all the unrelated lines and crap that were bolted to it....i will be working more on it tonite...maybe it will be a little better with a fresh look at it... it seems like if i work on it too long at one time i get frustrated and miss stuff lol!
thanks for the respomse...i will get some swivel sockets and go from there!
thanks again..
Kyle

You are welcome.
Usually when you lower back end you can get to upper bolts with a 2 1/2 -31/2 ft long extension and flex scocket.
Let us know how it goes.
Ps do not go cheap on parts get a brand new clutck kit and also good time to replace slay cylinder.

janandkyle
02-12-2009, 12:33 PM
i have a new clutch kit to go in it...heres another quick question....i have a borg warner t5 from a 97....some say its a better trans..idk but i do like the fact that the bell housing comes off....would it be worth the trouble to swap it in place of my current trans? if all looks fine ill prolly keep my current trans in there for now unless u guys kno of any major benefits of the t5?

janandkyle
02-17-2009, 11:53 AM
hey thanks for the tips i finally got the trans out and put in the new clutch kit and have it all back together now...i must say of all the rwd vehicles ive done clutch jobs on this one was the hardest
yhanks again
Kyle

MT-2500
02-17-2009, 12:05 PM
You are welcome and thanks for letting us know how it goes.
Yes on s-10 bodys they put engine and transmission in and then set the body right on top as close as they can get it.
Keeps the inside of body warmer in winter time.

I had a C-60 truck one time that would burn your feet off when the temp got up to a 100 the in shade.

Add your comment to this topic!