Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

slow to start

foxone924
02-11-2009, 06:09 PM
I have a 98 jeep grand cherokee 5.2l v8. Changed the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. The problem is that it takes a couple of seconds to start. It cranks 3-4 seconds before it finally fires up, doesn't seem like much but its not normal. Just wondering whats causing it, if something is going bad any help to point in right direction would be a big help. Thanks.

tintinuae
02-14-2009, 07:03 AM
Ihave the same problem, it could be the starter motor. Maybe the bolts are loose and it vibrates into place after a few cranks. Try turning the ignition on and off a few times then crank it, it should start straight away then. Good luck.

Tony.

wpatters1229
02-16-2009, 10:40 AM
Try waiting 30 seconds for the fuel pump to pressurize the system. I found with my 93 to wait until all the beeping is done with the system checks and then trying to start. Makes a big difference. Have you replaced the fuel filter?

Goldfishy
02-16-2009, 04:30 PM
Hope it may be as simple as making sure your battery's fully charged AND the terminals are clean, happened to me.

wpatters1229
02-16-2009, 05:45 PM
I got it to work once by taking out the solenoid and cleaning it but then it started to do it again. I think it just needs to be replaced since you can not adjust the contacts to make better or to be able to clean them like you can on some other solenoids.

Have to go buy one...ugh

tintinuae
02-16-2009, 09:48 PM
Well I tried the waiting fir the dings to stop, no different, the battery is full and the terminals are clean, I took out the starter relay cleaned the pins and inside the female reciever of the fuse board, no difference. Today I am going to get new spark plugs and set them myself according to the Haynes manual, remove the thermostat as it will soon be reaching temps of 50 degrees c where I am, replacing the tranny oil pan filter, gasket and adjusting the bands, and may even buy some new relays for good mesure. I will let you know what happens in the next few days.:sly:

Bob D.
02-18-2009, 09:33 AM
There is a little more efficient way to prime the fuel system just prior to starting:
Turn the key to the ON position until you hear the fuel pump stop; turn the key OFF then back on again - each time the pump should go off more quickly. When no sound is heard from the pump as the key is turned on continue to start it immediately, if it starts faster/normally then the fuel system needs some trouble shooting.
Even if there is no change it doesn't completely rule out the fuel system.

Add your comment to this topic!