Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

63 Nova with a Ford 9"

jyatesmp
02-11-2009, 02:37 PM
This is the set up (I bought it like this):

63 Chevy II Nova SS, 327 (replaced the I6), 350 turbo, Ford 9" with 3.73 posi. mono leaf springs, extended shackles, traction bars, sub frame connectors.

I want to swap out the 327 and put in a 388 stroker, replace the auto 350 and go with a 4 or 5 speed standard (no clutch in car as of now) and replace the mono springs with multi leaf, at the same time I would like to put the springs on top of the axle (not on the bottom as they are now).

I would like to replace the parts as I need them and as of now the 327 and tranny are strong, but my axle has lots of wheel hop and I get almost no traction. My stock front drum brakes must go.

Any ideas on how I go about getting my goals met? 1-Replace mono leaf with multi leaf springs, swap from spring under to spring over axle. 2-Go from auto setup tranny to standard tranny (adding clutch in car). 3-Swap 327 for 388 stroker (this one is easy and I think I can take care of it on my own). 4-Swap front 4 bolt drum brakes to 5 bolt disk.

If you have any web sites I can get parts at or intrechangable part ideas let me know.

osylith
02-12-2009, 03:45 PM
www.classicindustries.com (http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/www.classicindustries.com)

oldblu65
02-13-2009, 11:08 AM
Why do you want to put the springs on top of the axle ? To raise the vehicle ?

jyatesmp
02-13-2009, 07:12 PM
The idea was to help lift thee rear. I think itwill be more trouble than it is worth to do a leaf over swap. I have found some multi leaf 4" lift springs that I am going to go with.

I got the leaf over sawp idea from the truck off road world. To do this I would need to do a lot of cutting and welding, so I will just leave my axles as they are and just swap out the leaf springs.

Add your comment to this topic!