Page updated on 11-22-2017

dual tank tahoe?

cali4x4
02-08-2009, 01:05 PM
I have a lifted 99 Tahoe with a 5.7 old body style. At the moment it has 112,xxx miles on the body and frame. I just got a brand new engine last month so that has about 900 miles on it. (I just moved from Cali to Utah hence the number of miles in a month) It has a recently new tranny form about a year ago and a new radiator from about 2 years ago. So thats the basic info about my tahoe.

Now the idea/theory/question

I've been doing a lot of road tripping from Utah back to Cali cause I've got family out in Cali. And anybody who has driven the wonderfully empty Nevada section of I-80 knows that the gas stations are a little spread out. Which isn't a hassle or anything. But I was thinking about an idea of putting a fuel tank from a 94-98 2 door Tahoe or a 94-98 Suburban where my spare tire carrier would be. And customizing the fuel system where I could have a dual tank feature. So then in theory I would be able to drive from Orem, UT all the way to Fairfield, CA which is about a 740 mile drive on "one tank of gas." I guess it would be more like one stop for gas. If I managed getting 15 mpg and had a 30 gal tank from a 2 door tahoe I would be able to manage about 750 miles assuming I left about 5 gal in each tank which would mean burning 50 gallons of fuel. If I got a 42 gal tank from a suburban assuming the same mpg I would get about 930 miles. Again assuming I left 5 gallons in each tank again which would be buraning 62 gallons. Personally I think it would be pretty dang sweet and awesome if this could happen.

The question...

Could this actually be possible to do??

roadrunner2
02-08-2009, 09:34 PM
I think you'll need to do a lot of careful measuring before you attempt this.

IF the tank can be retro-fitted to your truck (given shape and space) you'll have to find somewhere else for your spare tire and will need to wire in a switch-over fuel valve and a pump (in the extra tank).

cali4x4
02-09-2009, 01:38 PM
Oh yea I'm gonna thoroughly measure everything out before I go and buy all the parts. my spare situation since its lifted and has over sized tires my spare doesn't fit under the truck. so I've got it on top on a roof rack I got. And I thinking about getting a dual tank switch from an earlier truck possibly like a 87 3500. It's like 7-9 bucks on http://www.rockauto.com (http://www.rockauto.com/). And I found a wiring diagram which would make it possible to customize the wiring to switch from tank to tank. So I'm feeling %90 sure that it would actually work. Have to do way more research on it though.

roadrunner2
02-09-2009, 02:32 PM
It sounds like you've got a good grip on the situation. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

MT-2500
02-11-2009, 10:15 AM
I have a lifted 99 Tahoe with a 5.7 old body style. At the moment it has 112,xxx miles on the body and frame. I just got a brand new engine last month so that has about 900 miles on it. (I just moved from Cali to Utah hence the number of miles in a month) It has a recently new tranny form about a year ago and a new radiator from about 2 years ago. So thats the basic info about my tahoe.

Now the idea/theory/question

I've been doing a lot of road tripping from Utah back to Cali cause I've got family out in Cali. And anybody who has driven the wonderfully empty Nevada section of I-80 knows that the gas stations are a little spread out. Which isn't a hassle or anything. But I was thinking about an idea of putting a fuel tank from a 94-98 2 door Tahoe or a 94-98 Suburban where my spare tire carrier would be. And customizing the fuel system where I could have a dual tank feature. So then in theory I would be able to drive from Orem, UT all the way to Fairfield, CA which is about a 740 mile drive on "one tank of gas." I guess it would be more like one stop for gas. If I managed getting 15 mpg and had a 30 gal tank from a 2 door tahoe I would be able to manage about 750 miles assuming I left about 5 gal in each tank which would mean burning 50 gallons of fuel. If I got a 42 gal tank from a suburban assuming the same mpg I would get about 930 miles. Again assuming I left 5 gallons in each tank again which would be buraning 62 gallons. Personally I think it would be pretty dang sweet and awesome if this could happen.

The question...

Could this actually be possible to do??

I would think 2-3 times before doing that.
You may have a fire hazard.
And may not pass saftey specs.
More than a switch valve is required and all of the 3 fuel lines and vents.

pear69
02-14-2009, 09:07 PM
I have a 2 door 98 tahoe. When I changed the fuel tank I learned that on a 97 or 98 2 door Tahoe there is a unique tank specific to these years. The diameter of the hole where the pump assembly fits in to as well as the tank pressure valves are unique to these years..Keep that in mind..

It probably will be better to just but a $1500.00 cadilac and dump another $500 or so into it to get it runnin' and lookin' good for the trip to see your family. You'll probably end up spending more than that putting another fuel tank in your Tahoe...Just a thought..

Add your comment to this topic!