1993 Ford Ranger fuel problems

rangerdanger21
02-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi, A couple weeks ago i put a new transmission in my truck and drove it home from the shop but before i got home it died on me and won't start back up so i listened to see if the fuel pump was kicking on and it wasn't so i opened the hood and pulled the fuel pump relay switch and put it right back in. After i did that it started right up. So i bought a new fuel pump and relay switch but it still does it. Sometimes when i go out in the morning to start it it won't even start. I replaced the fuel filter 6 months ago. Anyone got any ideas what could be wrong.

brivers
02-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Next time it won't start leave the key on and tap the relay with the handle of a screwdriver and then try to start it. If you replaced the relay, maybe you replaced the wrong one. I had the same problem where as the relay worked intermittently.

rangerdanger21
02-09-2009, 07:11 PM
I bought a new Fuel pump relay and it still does it. I can drive the truck for days sometimes before it shuts down and other days i can't even get out of the driveway.

stuzman
02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I bought a new Fuel pump relay and it still does it. I can drive the truck for days sometimes before it shuts down and other days i can't even get out of the driveway.

Are you pretty sure that it's a fuel related problem? If so, use a DMM and check to see if the relay is energized and if so, if voltage is getting across the contact or just go to the fuel pump and check voltage there. May need to do a little troubleshooting to see where the problem is at. Just a few thoughts.

Add your comment to this topic!