Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

How to change oil and oil filter on 2001 malibu

saxman513
02-05-2009, 02:00 PM
Can anyone provide a walk through and tools list to complete an oil and filter change on the 2001 malibu. its the 3100 v6 engine. Thanks in advance!!!

Johnny R
02-05-2009, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the forum. Try to purchase a Haynes or Chilton Manual - they are good for the home mechanics who wish to do oil and filter, change headlight/taillight bulbs, check fuses, check codes, change plugs, and much more. The manuals always show the procedure and tools. Best of luck.

manicmechanix
02-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Can anyone provide a walk through and tools list to complete an oil and filter change on the 2001 malibu. its the 3100 v6 engine. Thanks in advance!!!

Get a AC PF47 oil filter. Get a strap type oil filter wrench that fits it. 5 qts of 5W-30 but you will only refill with 4.5 qts. You will need a 15 millimeter wrench or 6-point socket for the oil drain plug. A socket with a big rachet might be needed to loosen drain plug because oil change places are notorious for overtightening it. Of course you will need an oil drain pain that is sealable so you can take your used oil to auto parts store.

Unloosen the two wing nuts by the radiator support that's holding the plastic cover underneath to get access to the oil filter. I drain the oil first at the drain plug, then I put it back on and take off the filter. Be careful the oil filter wrench doesnt contact the battery cable at the starter nearby. Turn everything counter-clockwise to loosen and clock-wise to tighten. Put a little oil on the oil filter gasket and tighten in 3/4-1 turn past contact. Put 4.5 quarts in the engine. It's not necessary to jack the car up and it's not hard to change the oil on this car really.

saxman513
02-06-2009, 07:43 AM
Thanks ManicMechanix! Thats exactly what i needed. This is truly the most helpful forum on the net!

manicmechanix
02-06-2009, 03:52 PM
Thanks ManicMechanix! Thats exactly what i needed. This is truly the most helpful forum on the net!

No problem. When I say counter-clockwise to loosen everything and clockwise to tighten, that means as your looking at the front of the filter or bolt of course. I'm sure you know that but with the drain plug or oil filter it's easy to get turned around and reverse counter-clockwise and clockwise since you are facing the opposite way from the front of the part. Hey it happens. As long as you don't accidentally tighten something you mean to loosen, you should have no problems.

Add your comment to this topic!