Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

01 Olds Bravada SmarTrac

mudslinger88
02-05-2009, 04:13 AM
I have an 01 Bravada with a TBI 4.3l Vortech V-6. It has the SmarTrac AWD system on it. Is there any way that I can install a switch or set of switches (whatever the case) that would allow me to convert this to a 4WD? I don't like the AWD kicking in whenever I accelerate quick or, basically, when I don't want it.

I am about to do a transmission fluid/filter change as well, what is the capacity of the transmission and pan and what would the recommended brand of fluid and filter be suggested on a fluid/filter change? I have 94,xxx miles on both engine and transmission. Figured it's time to change the fluid/filter.

Also, how hard would it be, and would it be beneficial in any way, to change the springs and shocks out with stock Blazer springs and shocks instead of Bravada? I know the Bravada is desiged more for luxury giving it a softer ride, but that also hurts the steering response and the roll-over risk right? Just want to improve. I would actually like to lower it and tighten the suspension, but I don't have the money for that at this point in time. Maintenance comes first. Mods come when I can get to them.

MT-2500
02-05-2009, 09:24 AM
If you have the smart trac you are stuck with it.
If not working right get it in a transfer case /transmission capable scanner and find out why.

Transmission fluid and filter should have done been changed.
A 94K change is riskie.
On the transmission it calls for dexron 111.
Before changing fluid or filter the transmission operation should be checked out good.

If you want a Blazer supension you best bet is to get a Blazer.

mudslinger88
02-05-2009, 10:11 PM
Not what I was hoping to hear, but that's how it goes I guess.
What makes a 94k fluid and filter change risky on the tranny? Thanks for the post back. I will get this thing on a scanner ASAP and get the codes, if any, back up here.

MT-2500
02-06-2009, 07:28 AM
Not what I was hoping to hear, but that's how it goes I guess.
What makes a 94k fluid and filter change risky on the tranny? Thanks for the post back. I will get this thing on a scanner ASAP and get the codes, if any, back up here.

On a transmission that has not had regular pan drop and filter and fluid service ever 25K severe service or 50k regular driving.
The dirt and grit from clutch wear and metal parts wear accumulates in the transmission parts spaces and valve body.
When you drop in new fluid which is high detergent and acts as a cleaner it cuts lose the dirt and grit and lets it get in the valve body and clutch pack seals and transmission rad cooler and shift and pressure solenoids.
Which can cause a lot of problems.

94K is a lot better and safer than 150-200K changes.
But still can cause problems.
Also a lot of people wait until the transmission is acting up to change filter and fluid.
Or even go hog wild and give it a killer total flush.

If you have 94 K regular driving and transmission still checks out good a pan drop and fluid change should be OK and add a lot of miles to the transmission.

Also another problem is Dexron 111 is no longer being made.
Gm says to change over to Dexron 6 fluid.
A full symmetric fluid by gm.

Unless the transmission clutches and transmission was made for Dexron 6
I look around and find Dexron/mercon transmission fluid.
Beware of parts places that try to sell you the multi purpose fluid.
It is a transmission killer.

mudslinger88
02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Alright. I took it to a shop over the weekend. No codes. I had the tranny mechanic drive it and he said that there is an engine mount and/or a tranny mount loose or broken. It clunks when you let off after punching it. He said the jumping wasn't the trans slipping it was the engine saying "gimme new plugs and wires." Yes that is exactly what he said. He also told me that a fluid/filter change is in order. The fluid doesn't smell burnt. He told me that the tranny was very strong. He's been working trannys for 30 years so I'm sure he knows. I know I sure don't. So, I am going to put new plugs and wires on and see what happens. What would you suggest as the best plugs and wires? I'm running the Bosch Platinum 4 plugs right now, but I haven't changed the wires since I bought the Bravy at 63,xxx. I thank you MT-2500 for the help and info.
~JD~

MT-2500
02-09-2009, 11:21 AM
You are welcome and let us know how it goes.

Ac delco plugs are the best for your GM.
Always check the latest AC plug book as plug no's and sometime gap changes.
Bosch plugs give a lot of problems.
Good Luck

mudslinger88
02-09-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the spark plug tips. Also, the number 3 and 5 plug I have alot of trouble getting to. I know about taking the tire off, but is there a special tool that I am supposed to use to get around the steering shaft?

MT-2500
02-10-2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks for the spark plug tips. Also, the number 3 and 5 plug I have alot of trouble getting to. I know about taking the tire off, but is there a special tool that I am supposed to use to get around the steering shaft?

Good spark plug socket and a few extensions is a big help.
Up in the S-10 forum check the how to section.

Add your comment to this topic!