Our Community is 705,000 Strong. Join Us.

LS coil pack problems

9tcoupe
02-05-2009, 02:24 AM
First let me say I joined this forum just for this problem. I have searched and read every post in these forums about the coil packs and still haven't found an answer. It seems that many people are starting to experience the same problem i have. Here goes. My brother-n-law has a 2000 ls with the v8. Last year he came to me complaining about smoke coming from under the hood and a misfire. After inspecting the car I saw that the spark plug seals in the valve cover were leaking and the obdII was giving a code for a misfire in cylinder 5. After replacing all seals in valve covers I done a spark test on all coil packs and all but one failed with a weak spark. I replaced #5 and the car ran smooth. A week later the car has a misfire in #5 again. He brings it back and I check it again. All plug holes are dry and #5 fails again with a weak spark. I told him to take it to someone certified so he did. They replaced 5 coil packs. The car ran good for 2 weeks. he took it back and they done a leak down test which showed a burnt valve in cylinder5. After having it fixed it ran good for about a month and then got a misfire in cylinder 4. Frustrated he took it to another mechanic who told him all coil packs were bad. He replaced them and it didn't fix the car. the car has been sitting in the parking lot of the shop for 3 months because they don't know what to do so now my brother-n-law is begging me to fix the car. Can anyone help. More than anything I need a service manual with wiring diagrams. My theory is that the voltage to the coils must be too low causing the spark to be weak, but I don't know what is causing it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks:banghead:

shorod
02-05-2009, 08:23 AM
You might try having your bro-in-law purchase a subscription to alldatadiy.com for his car. This will allow you access to the factory service information as well as the TSB related to testing the coils properly (assuming you have the proper tools). Ford claims that a lot of coils are improperly condemned, and it sounds like your bro-in-law is witness to that.

-Rod

Lynnie_girl
02-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Hi Rod and all! Just wanted to say THANK YOU for your advice in the last post! This morning I am online looking for firing order for a 2005 Lincoln LS V8-3.9. Yesterday my husband replaced ignition coil for cyl 1. Problem remains! So this morning I found this site...subscribed to alldatadiy and there it was...correct firing order! (dealership had told me incorrectly that number 1 was on driver's side firs from front of car. Anyways... and this is the good part... FLM has issued a TSB on this problem (I kindof knew that already) that extends the warranty on this problem to 100,000 miles. The same dealership fixed one of these while stll under factory warranty, so the first thing I did when it started misfiring was call them. They said warranty was extended only an additional 10,000 miles. Now I have the TSB that says otherwise. I'll be looking for a new service department for our next problem.
I am happy to say that armed with a correct firing order, husband replaced the correct damaged ignition coil within 30 minutes! Didn't feel it was worth giving up the car for a whole day!
Thanks again!!!

danielsatur
02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
When pulling Coils look for Rust (water) or oil!

This problem will short out coils,and car will misfire.

The Cowel will leak rain water and roll into COP's!
The Sparkplug Boss seals will leak oil too!

MCGIVER

shorod
02-22-2009, 06:06 PM
When pulling Coils look for Rust (water) or oil!

This problem will short out coils,and car will misfire.

The Cowel will leak rain water and roll into CPO's!
The Sparkplug Boss seals will leak oil too!

MCGIVER

Neither of these issues should be a problem with the 2005 and cylinder #1.

-Rod

danielsatur
02-22-2009, 10:04 PM
First let me say I joined this forum just for this problem. I have searched and read every post in these forums about the coil packs and still haven't found an answer. It seems that many people are starting to experience the same problem i have. Here goes. My brother-n-law has a 2000 ls with the v8. thanks:banghead:

I thought he said ''2000'':sunglasse

I have fixed plenty of contaminated coils with alcohol and a heat gun! :loser:
Also search forum for Coil check!
LS = $500

MCGIVER

Add your comment to this topic!