Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

03 windstar fuel problem

toying again
02-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Hi everyone, have a problem. Have a O3' WS with 41,000 miles purchased new. Had a new fuel filter put on because she wouldn't start about 12000 miles ago and approximately 6 months later was told it was really dirty and was backwash to clean. Now twice I have had starting problems which the first time she restarted after sitting but this time I had to have her towed.
Now I can not believe that there is so much dirt the gas or the tank because I fill up my other vehicles at the same station all the time and they are all older by about 6+ years and have never had a problem with the filters with any of them.. now I just put a new filter on the Windstar but it stills doesn't want to start. I can not hear the fuel pump either. any suggestions. Just found the right fuse box layout on line because the book that came with the van had a different layout. Thanks

mundy5
02-04-2009, 10:31 PM
I find the diagnosis of a bad fuel filter after 29000 miles to be incorrect. my 03 has over 60 k miles and I've never had any starting issues. I would seriously check other possibilities. I really doubt that your problem is the fuel filter. have you checked your alt and battery? It's about time for your battery to go out soon. I'm expecting mine to go bad shortly.

discnik
02-04-2009, 11:14 PM
See if there is a rental place or parts house that has a fuel pressure tester you can rent. Attach it to the schrader valve on the fuel rail turn key to "on" and see if there is fuel pressure, 30 - 45 psi, at the rail.

Check your Private Messages.

catvents
02-05-2009, 01:46 AM
Hi everyone, have a problem. Have a O3' WS with 41,000 miles purchased new. Had a new fuel filter put on because she wouldn't start about 12000 miles ago and approximately 6 months later was told it was really dirty and was backwash to clean. Now twice I have had starting problems which the first time she restarted after sitting but this time I had to have her towed.
Now I can not believe that there is so much dirt the gas or the tank because I fill up my other vehicles at the same station all the time and they are all older by about 6+ years and have never had a problem with the filters with any of them.. now I just put a new filter on the Windstar but it stills doesn't want to start. I can not hear the fuel pump either. any suggestions. Just found the right fuse box layout on line because the book that came with the van had a different layout. Thanks
First of all you SHOULD hear the pump when you turn your ignition to on. ( close the fan and the radio to hear it) If you don't hear the pump at this moment, the engine will not start and do not try to have any pressure too.
You can look at the fuel pump relay ( located in the power distribution box just near the battery) get a new one at Ford ( less than $10) and replace it; if this is not the problem keep it as a spare, soon or later you will probably need to replace it. THe owner manual will show you the exact location of this relay. But this will not cure a dirty gas tank if it is the case. The fuel pump has one strainer (filter) outside of the unit plus another one just connected to the inlet of the pump and I cannot understand how come that the outside fuel filter ( under the driver floor)can so dirty or clogged.

toying again
02-05-2009, 07:29 PM
Mundy5, Discniks, Catvents,
I would have to agree with all of you but it spit and cough and slowly snuffed out from thrist. I think someone put something in the tank. But i will have to deal with that after the cold snap. Anyway I did get it running this morning after finding the correct fuses to check. The book that came with the van was for a E- series and the fuses are all different in the main distribution box. It never made sense to me that this van could have so much dirt in the tank but it is the misses so I rarely drive it and if it didn't act up on me 2x now would have never believed it. I guess I blew the fuse trying to start it without the proper pressure. Strained the pump until it blew the fuse.
Thank you and everyone else for your response it was all noteworthy information. It was the number 5 fuse.

mundy5
02-05-2009, 07:46 PM
then it sounds like you need to clean out that tank b/4 filling it up again. I still don't understand how it could get that dirty from fuel but maybe there was a bad pump at the station.

Add your comment to this topic!