Won't move forward but will move in reverse

Mjohnson77
02-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi all. I'm new here and I am having issues with my Lumina. It is a 93 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1L 6 cylinder and has 192K miles on it. It has had one owner for the past ten years that I know for a fact.

Here's what happened. I was coming back home (2hr trip) The brakes had started making that roaring sound on the way down and had gotten worse when I got ready to make the trip home. Okay so I know the brake pads needed to be changed. No big deal. Well going down the road at 65mph I round a curve and my car starts making this REALLY LOUD grinding clattering noise. It took me forever to get it stopped. I will still in the road and I needed to get it out bc it was right around a curve. So I put it in drive and it wont move. So I put it in reverse and it moves just fine with no problems and no noises made. After backing it out of the road I tried to put it in drive. It moved forward a few inches and stopped like something was binding it up.

So here's the problem.. it will move in reverse with no problems at all and only creeps a couple of inches forward then stops. The harder you press on the gas the more it tries to lurch forward but will not move.. like it's caught on something.

We changed the rear brakes on it. Discovered that the driver side rear rotor and caliper were broke beyond repair so we replaced those too. Still the same.. moves forward a lil bit and stops but will go in reverse just fine. We don't seem to think its the tranny bc it pulls hard and seems to not have any problems pulling.. but its like something is bound up somewhere. That is the best way I know how to explain this situation.

We are at a loss as what to do so any suggestions would be great.

Thank you!
Mjohnson

maxwedge
02-04-2009, 05:25 PM
See if the front wheels can be turned by hand, jacked up .

Mjohnson77
02-04-2009, 05:26 PM
See if the front wheels can be turned by hand, jacked up .

Yes we plan on doing that tonight when he gets home from work. Thank you for your response and I will post what happens when we do this.

Scrapper
02-04-2009, 05:36 PM
sure your e-brake isn't stuck on because that happens alot it wont go forward but will go backwards?

Mjohnson77
02-04-2009, 07:29 PM
sure your e-brake isn't stuck on because that happens alot it wont go forward but will go backwards?

How can you tell if its stuck on or not? We depressed it and released it several times to make sure but is there another way to check it?

jeffcoslacker
02-04-2009, 10:45 PM
Sounds like something in the differential fragged...

Add your comment to this topic!