Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

electrical problem

drcoffee
02-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Please help. I'm not much good at tracking down electrical shorts. My right brake light won't glow. The bulb is good and I thought it might have been the aftermarket trailer light connection I installed so I disconnected it. Still no good. Actually I first noticed that both brakes lights would not glow when I was following my wife one day, but after playing around with the left bulb socket the left side came back to life. The right side is still dead. The blinkers both work and so does the hazard. When I turn on the headlights, both taillights do glow. Just the brake light is dead. Where should I start troubleshooting from?

Thanks

tempfixit
02-04-2009, 04:52 PM
What year drcoffee?

double check your rear bulbs. We have a 94 that at least once a year I have to change the bulbs for the same reason. These vehicles are known for the bulb contacts too deteriate. (Check the lead contact for what looks like holes in them, if so replace)

Also check the brake switch on the brake pedal.

Good luck.

drcoffee
02-04-2009, 06:23 PM
What year drcoffee?

double check your rear bulbs. We have a 94 that at least once a year I have to change the bulbs for the same reason. These vehicles are known for the bulb contacts too deteriate. (Check the lead contact for what looks like holes in them, if so replace)

Also check the brake switch on the brake pedal.

Good luck.

2000 model year. I'll check the connections again. Some dielectric grease might help too.

Add your comment to this topic!