Our Community is 940,000 Strong. Join Us.

Western Digital HDDs...

Blackcrow64
02-03-2009, 07:19 PM
I know we have some computer guys on here, so who all is using these Western Digital Mybooks and My passports?

I got a 1TB Mybook world edition about a year ago and it's been nothing but problems for me. Just reformatted my PC here recently and now realized I can't access anything on that HDD now... It used some retarded Mionet software for accessing crap and I hated it but had to use it. If I knew then what I know now I never would have put anything on it till I played with it some more...

Well I was out of space everywhere so a few weeks ago I bought another Mybook 500gig regular HDD. Thought, ok I'll format it over to NTFS and use it as I would any other HDD. Nope. Transferred some stuff onto it to test it after formatting it and then disconnected it and hooked it back up and couldn't pull the files. Said they were corrupt or damaged. I got pissed, formatted it again and took it back to Circuit city. Of course they are about to go out of business so I head over to Best Buy tonight to try a My Passport. I know several people who have used them with no troubles. I try to transfer some stuff after formatting it to NTFS and it just hangs in space and everything locks up. Reboot and try it again, same results...

I'm about sick of this. In my book (no pun intended) this is strike 3 for Western Digital and their My series... Anybody else use them and have trouble? Solutions? Tips?

I'm in dire need of space here and don't know what other brand would be that reliable... Western Digital used to be awesome and I never had problems with their internal drives, but right now their externals are killin me... :(

gthompson97
02-03-2009, 10:04 PM
I've been using a WD HDD for about 4 years now, I believe it's the passport. I've only had 1 problem with it, which was user-inflicted. I had to run a data recovery program to get my stuff back, but other than that I haven't had any trouble with it since, and I lug that sucker everywhere with me.

When you disconnect it, do you power the HDD down first? I noticed if I don't power it down before I disconnect it, things get funny when trying to reconnect it.

4g63gst20
02-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Only problem i had with a 320GB mybook version was that it would not let my computer boot if it was conected. So if i wanted to restart, I'd have to shut down,disconect the usb wire and then turn on the pc.

Thor06
02-03-2009, 11:24 PM
160gig WD here, not sure but I think its a My Book that I got this time freshman year. Never had one single problem with it.

Blackcrow64
02-04-2009, 08:47 AM
When you disconnect it, do you power the HDD down first? I noticed if I don't power it down before I disconnect it, things get funny when trying to reconnect it.
I always powered down the mybooks before disconnecting. All you can do with the my passport though is use the "disconnect hardware" button in windows since it is usb powered. I always get an error though telling me it's being accessed by a program when it isn't. Nothing was running in the background for it and nothing was being transferred to it.

I'm debating taking this thing back later today if I can't get it working... But 500gig my passport for 110 bucks is a pretty good bit of space for not a lot of money...

david-b
02-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Using a 640gb WD HD with no problems. I don't disconnect it or anything when shutting anything down. Never had a problem with any of them throughout the years.

Blackcrow64
02-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Alright, so I tried this again here this morning... Transferred a 600mb folder from my old 160gig Netdisk HDD to my desktop and it took about 15 seconds to complete. Then I tried putting the folder on the passport and it started going normal and about 15 seconds into it the LED stops flashing and just stays solid and the progress bar sits there...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/12/l_fe75696b758546e199881885d472eab6.jpg

I let it sit for about 5 minutes and it didn't move. Tried to cancel it and it canceled and I checked the folder size. 18mb's is all that transfers and then it locks up on me. Try to delete it and it won't let me. Disconnect the HDD and reconnect it and then I can delete it with no problems... Thoughts? Western Digitals site is no help and nobody else seems to have this problems online with the passports...

david-b
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Sounds like a problem with the drive.

Blackcrow64
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Sounds like a problem with the drive.
Every drive I buy from them though? I'm very disappointed with these things now...

I'm open to suggestions of other brands that DON'T SUCK... lol

gthompson97
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Maybe your computer just doesn't like them, I have no idea. I've used mine on multiple computers and I haven't had a single problem.

Blackcrow64
02-04-2009, 02:38 PM
Maybe your computer just doesn't like them, I have no idea. I've used mine on multiple computers and I haven't had a single problem.
And I've found my solution... I started thinking this same thing today, so I went and did some research on compatibility issues with certain types of hardware. Wouldn't you know it, Western Digital's HDD are NOT compatible with Adaptec USB controllers... Guess what Dell runs in their Dimension Desktops. Adaptec USB controllers... So who got the shaft because of it? Me... My choices are, new USB controller for my PC or get another PC... Fortunately for me, I've been in the middle of a certain project and I had a few spare PC's here... Of course they are Dells as well, but they are the Optiplex systems. Gave it a whirl on there and everything shot through with no problems. Well hot damn! I couldn't believe it. I think they should include a disclaimer or warning with their HDD's saying they are NOT compatible with those types of USB controllers...

So I guess that solves my problem... Hopefully... I'll be pissed if my 14 day return runs out and then it starts acting up again on me...

gthompson97
02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Yeah my desktop is an Optiplex and my laptop is an XPS and it works flawlessly on both, must just be the Dimensions they have trouble with.

Blackcrow64
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
Yeah my desktop is an Optiplex and my laptop is an XPS and it works flawlessly on both, must just be the Dimensions they have trouble with.
Kinda pisses me off though cause my Dimension is my main PC I work on. Oh well, at least that solves the mystery and I can actually start working on crap again...

Next I'll be trying to back everything off the mybook world edition that I have to see if I can't get it setup better as a perfect NAS solution for my network... If I get that stuff off there then that'll give me another 1TB of space! Woohoo!

Add your comment to this topic!