Transmission surges forward in drive at stops, Why?

bigger boy
02-02-2009, 06:27 PM
2000 Ford E-150 Cargo van V-6, Automatic, w/air. Idles fine in park and netural. Dives fine in drive and reverse. When van comes to a complete stop while in drive; van pulses or surges forward then stops and repeats these surges until driving again. Noticed one other thing abnormal. Van stalled when just while getting on my way out in morning. (Van never stalled once in four years) also has not stalled again since that one time. It's best described as rocking forward and backward sometimes more or less, About 2 1/2 years ago (12,000 miles ago) I had the trans filter and and fluid changed. I climbed under the van and noticed a leak in the very bottom of trans. The area that has a small leak looks similar to a freeze out plug from an engine block. I checked trans fluid, by the dip stick on level ground in park running at reg. temp level is fine. It started happening at once. Sometimes van will come to a stop and not surge. Maybe 1 in 15 times. Times are tough! I hope I can tackle this on my own needing a tranny will break my back right now. Please advise. Thanks:banghead:

bigger boy
02-02-2009, 06:28 PM
2000 Ford E-150 Cargo van V-6, Automatic, w/air. Idles fine in park and netural. Dives fine in drive and reverse. When van comes to a complete stop while in drive; van pulses or surges forward then stops and repeats these surges until driving again. Noticed one other thing abnormal. Van stalled when just while getting on my way out in morning. (Van never stalled once in four years) also has not stalled again since that one time. It's best described as rocking forward and backward sometimes more or less, About 2 1/2 years ago (12,000 miles ago) I had the trans filter and and fluid changed. I climbed under the van and noticed a leak in the very bottom of trans. The area that has a small leak looks similar to a freeze out plug from an engine block. I checked trans fluid, by the dip stick on level ground in park running at reg. temp level is fine. It started happening at once. Sometimes van will come to a stop and not surge. Maybe 1 in 15 times. Times are tough! I hope I can tackle this on my own needing a tranny will break my back right now. Please advise. Thanks:banghead: Van has 114,000 miles and never tows.

yotermanic
02-03-2009, 12:44 AM
I would start this one with a transmission service. Doesn't always fix it, but you know it's a good thing to do.

As far as your leak goes, it sounds like an accumulator cover is leaking. These can be tricky to replace, there are special tools you use to push the cover, piston and spring in all together so you can remove a snap ring then the whole shebang comes out at once. Some fellas do it with a screwdriver handle...they are usually very experianced or dumb.

As far as the surging and your one case of stalling, I think you have a torque convertor that is acting up. The problem with these, is the torque convertor clutch is controlled by the PCM, so it may be a fix as simple as reprogramming the computer, but the constant misapplication of the clutch probably burned out the torque convertor and possibly did some input shaft damage.

What I would do is take it to a dealer, or a technically savvy shop and have them reprogram the thing, and see if it keeps doing it. If you don't let them talk you into a diagnosis, the reprogramming should run you a hundred bucks or less. Next, see what it does. If the problem goes away, pat yourself on the back and drive it. If the problem persists, marry a rich woman and get her to pay for a new torque convertor because the transmission is going to have to go out which is pretty labor intensive.

Whatever you do good luck and have fun!

bigdieder
02-17-2009, 02:15 AM
I have an older econoline (1990) that does the same thing when the AC/heater is on. I hope your fix is as easy as shutting the air off. I recently had the torque converter replaced so I know that is not the issue with mine. I would try that first before even getting a diagnostic.

bigger boy
02-17-2009, 08:16 AM
I have an older econoline (1990) that does the same thing when the AC/heater is on. I hope your fix is as easy as shutting the air off. I recently had the torque converter replaced so I know that is not the issue with mine. I would try that first before even getting a diagnostic.AC/Heater on or off still does it. I went to Advanced Auto to get the free code check. Says there is a vaccum line off or oxygen senser, or misfire between cyl 1 and 2. I Don't see a faulty plug wire. I did find a rear vaccum hose from Manifold to just before the PVC valve (plastic Y) Split and colapsed. I replaced it an d it colapsed again. Manifold is sucking and connector at Y is sucking. I thought only the maifold should create vaccum. Also I took the EGR valve off and cleaned it. It had no real build up. All othe vac line look good, I did the test with 2+2 carb cleaner Please Help.

Add your comment to this topic!